• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

1 OWI, 1 driving while suspended.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

NameBrand

I recieved an OWI on 1/27/2004. Then on 5/14/2004 I picked up a driving while suspended along with a violation finacial liability coverage charge. I have fines I think that are unpaid. I am being denied a license in MO. Any idea what I'm looking at to get my license back?

asiny

I recieved an OWI on 1/27/2004. Then on 5/14/2004 I picked up a driving while suspended along with a violation finacial liability coverage charge. I have fines I think that are unpaid. I am being denied a license in MO. Any idea what I'm looking at to get my license back?
What did the MO DMV say?
Usually you may have to pay all the fines and fees associated before they will issue a licence.

NameBrand

What did the MO DMV say?
Usually you may have to pay all the fines and fees associated before they will issue a licence.
I found out when I took the test to get my license. They gave me a number to call iowa. But the number just rang and rang. Couldnt tell me at the driver license office what was holding me back. On iowas site it shows the fines as paid.

The total for each of those charges was more than $7000 apiece. It shows the fines as $3000 apiece and that they were paid. But there is a category called OTHER with more than $3000 showing as unpaid. I do not know what the other is. There is no way I will be able to pay them off in full. I didn't do any damage to anything or anyone for either of the charges.

Last edited:

NameBrand

How is your post relevant to my question highwayman? I put the amount of the fines because i feel they are ridiculously large and since there is a OTHER category with fees larger than the fines. I posted that I didnt do any damage to clear any thoughts of people wondering if the fines and other were so high because of damage to pedestrians or vehichles.

I could start a payment plan but paying them in full is not an option. Everyone that I have talked to has never heard of fines so high for those charges. But I mainly just want to know the steps usually involved for getting license back after those two charges. Thanks.

HighwayMan

Super Secret Senior Member
i feel they are ridiculously large
Doesn't seem to matter what you feel. Those are the fines imposed and you have to live with that.

I could start a payment plan but paying them in full is not an option.
So then what's the point of the payment plan?

Everyone that I have talked to has never heard of fines so high for those charges.
So you know a bunch of people who got charged with the same offenses as you did? That's kind of coincidental.

But I mainly just want to know the steps usually involved for getting license back after those two charges.
What do you mean "after the charges"? There is no "after" until you pay your outstanding fines. You don't seem to get that. It doesn't matter if you feel they are unfair.

So the bottom line seems to be that you will never get your license back unless your fines are paid.

NameBrand

Are you having fun trolling? I understand about fines and you are twisting what I'm saying. I CANT PAY THE FINES IN FULL period. I can make payments however. So try and twist what you want but any intelligent person would have known what I meant when I posted it. If you don't have an answer to my question then please don't say anything. Thanks.

Last edited:

HighwayMan

Super Secret Senior Member
The answer is you will not get your license back.

As far as the payment plan, your statement was not clear. My interpretation was that you could, if you wanted to, make payments to pay this off but you had no intention of paying the fines, period.

cyjeff

The reason the OTHER category is so large is that it contains interest, penalties and court costs incurred since you decided to no show up in court.

The chances of you getting to pay a seven year old set of fines with a payment plan is very slim. Why? Because you have already proven it is easier for you to just ignore it than pay it.

This is also why even if you do get a payment plan that you will not be allowed a license until it is paid off. You see, the state thinks that the only reason you are paying now is because they finally have something you want badly enough for you to pay them.

If they let you get your license back on the first payment of the plan, they believe that you will never pay a second payment.

This is what happens when you ignore your fines. We can only help you so far... but, as stated above, your first call is to the courthouse to ask what you can do to get your license back. Don't expect a great deal of kindness and understanding.

NameBrand

The reason the OTHER category is so large is that it contains interest, penalties and court costs incurred since you decided to no show up in court.

The chances of you getting to pay a seven year old set of fines with a payment plan is very slim. Why? Because you have already proven it is easier for you to just ignore it than pay it.

This is also why even if you do get a payment plan that you will not be allowed a license until it is paid off. You see, the state thinks that the only reason you are paying now is because they finally have something you want badly enough for you to pay them.

If they let you get your license back on the first payment of the plan, they believe that you will never pay a second payment.

This is what happens when you ignore your fines. We can only help you so far... but, as stated above, your first call is to the courthouse to ask what you can do to get your license back. Don't expect a great deal of kindness and understanding.
I did show up for court so that couldn't be why the other fees are so high. I do understand what you are saying about the fines tho. Hopefully they will take into consideration that I have 2 children now. A friend mentioned to me something called amnesty. Do you think that oculd be an option? I'm really trying to get my life back in order and it's really hard to do without being able to drive. Thanks for the reply.

cyjeff

I did show up for court so that couldn't be why the other fees are so high. I do understand what you are saying about the fines tho. Hopefully they will take into consideration that I have 2 children now. A friend mentioned to me something called amnesty. Do you think that oculd be an option? I'm really trying to get my life back in order and it's really hard to do without being able to drive. Thanks for the reply.
I assumed you didn't show up in court for at least SOME of the charges. Regardless, the rest of the money is interest and probably some administrative fees while they tried to track you down.

You will have absolutely no chance of having the court forgive your debts completely. Amnesty does not apply here.

Your children do not matter. Why does every criminal think that the fact they have children means that they shouldn't have to pay their penalties like everyone else? Are you saying that only single people should have to pay their fines or go to prison?

Yup, the state knows it is a hard life if you are not driving. That is why taking away your license is so effective.

NameBrand

I said nothing about not paying the fines "like everyone else has to". But I believe that they should take every aspect of your life into consideration for judgement. I am not a criminal. I made a mistake when I was younger and I am going to take responsibility for it. They should take that into account when they consider things as well as my children.

I came to this site for help and mostly received nothing but sarcasm and ridicule. You can't just assume that everyone that posts here is a drug addict law breaking derelict. Do you treat all people that post here the same way?

Last edited:

cyjeff

I said nothing about not paying the fines "like everyone else has to". But I believe that they should take every aspect of your life into consideration for judgement. I am not a criminal. I made a mistake when I was younger and I am going to take responsibility for it. They should take that into account when they consider things as well as my children.

I came to this site for help and mostly received nothing but sarcasm and ridicule. You can't just assume that everyone that posts here is a drug addict law breaking derelict. Do you treat all people that post here the same way?
You were assessed fines. You didn't pay them. You don't want to have to pay them now.

You seem to think that your life choices since this time will bear a great weight. They may bear some... that is why judgments are made by people and not computer... but to think they will erase your debts is naive.

Remember, too, that the judge has heard every hard luck and "I found Jesus" story on the planet and is insulated from them.

Good luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">