• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

1989 DUI Laws

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

bluenotes

What is the name of your state? California

In 1988 I was going through a divorce and like an idiot got drunk and within 4 months I got 4 DUI'S. Of course, these became felony DUI's and I did 18 months in state prison and my CA driver's license was revoked. Here, almost 20 years later I would like to get my license reinstated but was told by DMV that I need to complete an 18 month driver's course before I can get one issued. My question is shouldn't the criteria used in 1989 be used in reinstating my license as opposed to the laws that now are in effect in 2007? Also, are there any statute of limitations that might have an effect on this issue? Additionally, where would I find the laws that were in effect for 1989? Thank you.

moburkes

What is the name of your state? California

In 1988 I was going through a divorce and like an idiot got drunk and within 4 months I got 4 DUI'S. Of course, these became felony DUI's and I did 18 months in state prison and my CA driver's license was revoked. Here, almost 20 years later I would like to get my license reinstated but was told by DMV that I need to complete an 18 month driver's course before I can get one issued. My question is shouldn't the criteria used in 1989 be used in reinstating my license as opposed to the laws that now are in effect in 2007? Also, are there any statute of limitations that might have an effect on this issue? Additionally, where would I find the laws that were in effect for 1989? Thank you.
What criteria is that? Please provide the link.

I'll leave my opinion out of this at the moment.

seniorjudge

Q: My question is shouldn't the criteria used in 1989 be used in reinstating my license as opposed to the laws that now are in effect in 2007?

A: No; this is a civil matter, not a criminal matter. The state can change the rules for getting a license.

Q: Also, are there any statute of limitations that might have an effect on this issue?

A: No.

Q: Additionally, where would I find the laws that were in effect for 1989?

A: A law library.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">