• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

1st.OWI/DUI

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

bruceinMichigan

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? michigan
1st offence, can I expect to get a plea? just want to keep my CDL to keep working as truck driver.... also gotta work in bands and be in bars... how easy/hard will my punishment be? got a family to support and need licence to do that. have commitments to perform shows and need to be in bars/halls, places that serve booze. any info is appreciated. personally I am terrified as to what may happen...:eek:

quincy

Bruce, your very best outcome could depend on getting help from an experienced lawyer in Michigan. You will want to get your charges reduced if you want to keep your license from being suspended.

The following information only applies if there were NO injuries or deaths involved with your OWI. If injury or death occurred, you would be facing felony charges.

For a first offense OWI (with no death or injury), you are facing a $100 to $500 fine and either 93 days in jail or 360 hours of community service. In addition, your driver's license will be suspended for 30 days, followed by a restricted license for 150 days. There is the possibility of vehicle immobilization or ignition interlock.

You will have 6 points added to your driver's record. You will be responsible for an $1000 driver responsibility fee for two consecutive years.

An attorney may be able to help you get your OWI reduced to an OWVI, with resulting penalties of an up to $300 fine and either 93 days in jail or 360 hours of community service, and a restricted license for 90 days (180 days restricted license if the OWVI involved a controlled substance). There is a possibility of vehicle immobilization. 4 points will be added to your driver record, and there is a $500 a year driver responsibility fee for two consecutive years.

With the reduction to an OWVI, your license should not be suspended and you should be able to continue driving to and from work.

Whether an attorney can get charges reduced further is impossible to say. I believe the best you can hope for is an OWVI.

Scribs76

Prepare yourself to be looked at like your scum of the earth..You would have been better off robbing the local bank.;)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">