• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

1st time DUI offence

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

TangerineSky

What is the name of your state? Mesa, Arizona

Hello, my girlfriend is 18 and just recently got a DUI. Here are the specifics I know so far.
-She failed to stop on red while initiating a right turn.
-She took the field test, breath test, and blood test. I know her results for the breath were a .17 BAC.
-She was charged with 6 alcohol related charges including an extreme DUI and her car was impounded.

I am trying to help her figure out what to do to limit her penalties. She has a clean record other then a speeding ticket. She doesn't have enough cash to hire legal counsel. Here are my questions.

-Can she get any legal counsel with out the court saying she had previous counsel and cannot hire a public defender?

-Do public defenders help much?

-Are their any premptive measures she can take such as pre enrolling in classes or anything that will help sway the court to reduce the sentance?

-Is there any other advice anyone may have that will help in this situation?

FlyingRon

To get a public defender you must be truly indigent and not just unwilling to pay for one. "No cash" is not a factor if you have a job and could afford to one but have squandered your money on something else (like booze and cars).

Public defenders are better than no lawyer. Some can be quite good. Your friend is in serious trouble. It could even be a felony based on the conditions involved.

In addition to a lawyer, she's going to be facing:

1. Serious fines and costs
2. Extended probation
3. Extended suspension
4. Ignition interlock and costs.
5. Jail time.

TangerineSky

Thank, I had a decent idea of what shes facing because I know some other people who have gotten them. Plain and simple shes a ****ing idiot but what can you do.
But I'm there to help so I'm trying to figure out what she can do to limit the sentancing.

I know they usually require mandatory classes and what not. I would think by signing up for those classes and trying to take care of your problem you can show the prosecutor and judge that you are trying to get better.
Do you happen to know if this is worth trying and if so which classes? Do you know of any other things that may help pursuade the judge?

FlyingRon

If you are attached to the girl, take her to a lawyer even if you have to pay and ask him these questions.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">