• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

1st Time Dui in PA in 2008

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

leftygl

Hi everyone, not here to make excuses or for sympathy, just looking for feedback. I know what I did was wrong.

A little about the situation.

*I drove drunk in Oct of 2008 ( this was my first every crime, 1st and only dui) was just on a neighborhood road, didn't hit anyone or anything.

*I went to court, paid the initial 250 .00 fine to get on ARD ( which is a program in pa to get the dui expunged for 1st time offenders, I plead no contest.

* I did everything, went to court, was ordered to pay 1400 dollars, license suspension for 60 days, and complete classes at a cost.

* I was laid off a few weeks after that and had to collect unemployment benefits fort 2 years because I couldn't find work.

I was not able to do my classes , I DID suspend my license for the 60 days and pay that fee, and I was only able to pay about 200 dollars of that fine.

I missed a court hearing for ARD final review in early 2011, and when I was back in PA had a warrant out and was arrested, sat in jail for 3 days over the weekend, and then released right away monday morning without seeing any judge.

Got papers in the mail that I have a hearing in September.

I have only been able to find part time work, ( i moved to NYC )
can i still get a public defender in pa?

what can i expect? Of course this is my fault, but this is holding me back from gaining full time work, after I clear this up in September , ( which I know Dui's stay on record ) will the pending charged go away ? I have not been in any further trouble since.

any other advice you may give? and please don't tell me things i already know like "what I did was wrong " etc I know this already..

asiny

I missed a court hearing for ARD final review in early 2011, and when I was back in PA had a warrant out and was arrested, sat in jail for 3 days over the weekend, and then released right away monday morning without seeing any judge.

Got papers in the mail that I have a hearing in September.
What led to you being arrested? And did you know you had a bench warrant out?

I have only been able to find part time work, ( i moved to NYC )
can i still get a public defender in pa?
It really depends on your total income. The court would be able to advise on this and what the process is.

Did you contact the court when you moved? If not, why?

what can i expect? Of course this is my fault, but this is holding me back from gaining full time work, after I clear this up in September , ( which I know Dui's stay on record ) will the pending charged go away ? I have not been in any further trouble since.
Your only saving grace would be that you have performed everything the court has asked and, even though suffering a financial hardship, you have continued to make your required payments.

any other advice you may give? and please don't tell me things i already know like "what I did was wrong " etc I know this already..
Just going of what you wrote - it seems you have been doing everything the court asked, the issue in question; what circumstances prevented you from getting to court originally and did you contact the court ahead of time to ask for advice?

leftygl

What led to you being arrested? And did you know you had a bench warrant out?

I did not know I had a bench warrant, after being laid off I had to move out of the Pittsburgh area back home, when your on ARD the probation offerc aren't really that, you don't have to check in, I didn't even know who mine was, I did call and left voicemails of the situation with no call backs. That was back in 2008-9. I was in Pittsburgh in the summer of 2011 and had a bench warrant out due to me missing a ARD court hearing which I never got. went to jail over the weekend, and then on monday they just released me.

It really depends on your total income. The court would be able to advise on this and what the process is.

I literally just moved to NYC last week, looking for work. Should I contact them ?

Your only saving grace would be that you have performed everything the court has asked and, even though suffering a financial hardship, you have continued to make your required payments.

Yeah, I mean I did suspend my license like that asked, and paid a few hundred dollars of the fine, maybe I can make another payment or two before my court date?

Just going of what you wrote - it seems you have been doing everything the court asked, the issue in question; what circumstances prevented you from getting to court originally and did you contact the court ahead of time to ask for advice?
The only thing that prevented me was not getting the first court papers in the mail, they sent them to my former address, one that I have not been at since 2008.

My main concern is jail I guess, and having a pending court date off record so I can again get a good job. It is like a catch 22, I was laid off, and cannot find a good job to pay back the loans because I have a pending court date...

But I haven't been in trouble since the dui in 2008, but just have to clear it all up. thanks for the feedback, ! :)

asiny

The only thing that prevented me was not getting the first court papers in the mail, they sent them to my former address, one that I have not been at since 2008.
Something doesn't read right.

I literally just moved to NYC last week, looking for work. Should I contact them ?
So far you list 2 addresses, one in PA and one in NY.. is there a third address missing from this?
And the question now amends to, Why did you not contact the court when you moved?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">