• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

1st time public intoxication

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

aricas24

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?
I'm CA, in Santa Clara Co...I was recently arrested for public intoxication. I was out with friends drinking at the end of the night I knew we were all too drunk to drive. I was standing in the parking lot when the officer came up to me and arrested me. After he put me in the patrol car he had me blow in to the breathalyzer, which I don't even know how high it was.
This is my first time ever in this situation...never been in trouble with the law. I'm scared and wondering what are the penalties that I will be facing?

CdwJava

In theory you could do up to 6 months in jail and face a fine of, I believe, up to $1,000. In reality, they may not file at all. if they do, it is likely you wil face a small fine plus fees, and be put on probation for a while.

These offenses are not always prosecuted - especially these days when budgets are tight.

If you go to court, the first hearing will be the arraignment. If you cannot afford an attorney, the court will inform you how to obtain one at the state's cost (thought you would be liable for a portion of that if convicted).

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">