• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

24/7 sobriety

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Rlens

I got a second DUI this month and just had my court appearance this Wednesday.

I pled not guilty and applied for a court appointed attorney. The judge required me to do the 24/7 sobriety program. What will happen if I don't follow through with the program or don't show up?

LdiJ

I pled not guilty and applied for a court appointed attorney. The judge required me to do the 24/7 sobriety program. What will happen if I don't follow through with the program or don't show up?
Very bad things...why in the world wouldn't you do what the judge requires you to do?

CdwJava

Oh, maybe jail, a license suspension, heavier fines ... so, WHY would you NOT want to take advantage of this opportunity? Is being a drunk so important to you that you'd rather drink yourself into oblivion and do jail time than get sober?

quincy

What is the name of your state, Rlens?

If you were arrested for a DUI and you pled not guilty - but refuse to comply with the conditions of the court-ordered 24/7 sobriety program - you will be re-arrested and charged with contempt of a court order. You will then have to wait in jail pending your trial. At your trial, you will either be found guilty of a second DUI, and suffer whatever consequences come from that (which will include loss of your drivers license), or you will be found not guilty of your second DUI.

The 24/7 program is a condition of release (and can also be a condition of your sentencing or your probation). The program allows you to stay out of jail and it allows you to drive, as long as you report twice a day to a designated police agency for a breathalyzer test. If you miss one of the tests or if you fail one of the tests, however, you are immediately re-arrested and jailed.

The fees you are charged for the breathalyzer testing have already been upheld as Constitutional by at least one state supreme court. Here is a link to the Montana Law Review and the questions that were raised by the 24/7 program and its Constitutionality, in the case State v. Spady, when Spady challenged the program:
http://www.montanalawreview.org//precap-spady-v-state-the-24-7-sobriety-program-might-work-but-is-it-legal.html

The Montana Supreme Court found the testing fees were comparable to bail and not a pretrial punishment.

In those states that have a 24/7 program, the majority of those arrested for drunk driving and who are released under 24/7, are compliant with the conditions of release (according to state statistics).

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">