• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

3 Years Later.... Back for a Peek.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Texas

I know this forum is frequented by mainly scared to death recent offenders, overzealous MADD members who will want to crucify you from word 1, and some very helpful and honest current and former law officials.

Just so you new to the forums folks know... it get's better. Go ahead and let yourself get a few grey hairs over it, realize your gonna pay out a few 1000 dollars ($12K all tolled for me to be exact over 3 years) and lots of hours of your time, but down the road it's just something in your past, you'll just look back and move forward. Your not a bad person.. you made a mistake, deal with it, and get over it.

I got my one and only DWI in early '06, (my scared posts are archived on here LOL)

I'm probably a statistic, probably drove..... 300+ times over the limit before my DWI. I was stopped by police twice that I know of that I probably should have gone to jail and they let me drive off, all before my arrest.

I've never done it again... and never will. It teaches you a lesson, or it damn sure better.

I kinda wish every new driver would have to go through a little of it. and on a soapbox I wished they'd lower the limit to .02. There should be no question of "if I can drive" in my opinion.

best of luck to you all!

CdwJava

I know this forum is frequented by ... overzealous MADD members who will want to crucify you from word 1
I am unfamiliar with ANY "MADD members" on these forums.

Just so you new to the forums folks know... it get's better. Go ahead and let yourself get a few grey hairs over it, realize your gonna pay out a few 1000 dollars ($12K all tolled for me to be exact over 3 years) and lots of hours of your time, but down the road it's just something in your past, you'll just look back and move forward. Your not a bad person.. you made a mistake, deal with it, and get over it.
Not contrary to what most regulars here write.

I'm probably a statistic, probably drove..... 300+ times over the limit before my DWI. I was stopped by police twice that I know of that I probably should have gone to jail and they let me drive off, all before my arrest.
You got very lucky ... as did the public who shared the roads with you.

I've never done it again... and never will. It teaches you a lesson, or it damn sure better.
This is good.

I kinda wish every new driver would have to go through a little of it. and on a soapbox I wished they'd lower the limit to .02. There should be no question of "if I can drive" in my opinion.
Then they will argue over the .02 level. Sadly, unless they make it zero tolerance, the problem will remain.

Good luck to you.

- Carl

Isis1

here, here!! mine was in 05. if i want to drink, i call a cab. if i can't afford a cab. i don't go. i can save that money and get drunk at home.

and by golly. there should be a no tolerance level for drunk driving.

Carl, you were one of the good guys I was talking about, and like I mentioned Honest
You got very lucky ... as did the public who shared the roads with you.
by the way 300+ times was a number i heard in one of the classes, not sure mine would be that high.

0 Tolerance I think would be perfect as well. I thought there was some legal reason why it would be undoable. I thought .02 could technically pass. If they can make it 00, I'm %100 for it.

I think I might actually tell my sister about my incident this year after 3 years of hiding it from her. she's a cop. ;)

Last edited:

CdwJava

We'll never likely see a true zero tolerance for DUI in this country, or even anything approaching the harsh penalties faced by DUI drivers in most o0ther countries. We've probably hit the peak of penalties and restrictions on the matter.

- Carl

BrodyH

Thanks

Hello,

I just made my first mistake a week ago now and have lost sleep and appetite and everything over it. I have felt horrible and had people lash out... After reading this post it made me realize a few things...

I truly think zero tolerance is something that would be a great thing, I am also thankful that something like this happened where nobody was injured, no damage was caused and the only person who will truly pay is myself.

I have frequented these boards ever since I got pulled over, I am the preppy guy who never got into any trouble in my life and I was sharing a jail cell with people who don't exactly fit my crowd or lifestyle. I am grateful for the experience, and also reading these posts... I am not making any light on anything I have done, but I plan to try to chronicle my experience step by step to deter anyone from making the poor choice I made....

Thanks for this post though, it really made me realize that this is something everyone can overcome... I just obviously have been so worried about jail and insane fines and costs I will not be able to remotely afford...

Thanks!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">