• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Is this a 3rd of 4th Offense and Trial Predicitons

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

nbigler4

This is about my boyfriend of 4 years. Quick history- arrested in 1998 for a DUI, case dismissed. Arrested in 2001 for a DWI 1st offense, case dismissed. Arrested in 2009 for a DWI 3rd, charges dropped. Now in April 2016, my boyfriend was arrested again. Charges were DWI 3rd Offense. I'll admit the obvious, he seems to have a drinking problem. But honestly here, what is he looking at? I don't understand how its stating that this is his 3rd when the aforementioned arrest was stating it was his 3rd DWI. Doesn't make sense. Does the fact that its been 7 years since his last DWI matter whatsoever? I do know his BAC was a .18 and we live in NM. He's been in jail since June 30 for a pre-trial violation. Thanks guys for any help or advice or reassurance of any sort. I'm really just panicking over this whole mess. We had planned to be married and this has really just screwed our plans up...

Just Blue

This is about my boyfriend of 4 years. Quick history- arrested in 1998 for a DUI, case dismissed. Arrested in 2001 for a DWI 1st offense, case dismissed. Arrested in 2009 for a DWI 3rd, charges dropped. Now in April 2016, my boyfriend was arrested again. Charges were DWI 3rd Offense. I'll admit the obvious, he seems to have a drinking problem. But honestly here, what is he looking at? I don't understand how its stating that this is his 3rd when the aforementioned arrest was stating it was his 3rd DWI. Doesn't make sense. Does the fact that its been 7 years since his last DWI matter whatsoever? I do know his BAC was a .18 and we live in NM. He's been in jail since June 30 for a pre-trial violation. Thanks guys for any help or advice or reassurance of any sort. I'm really just panicking over this whole mess. We had planned to be married and this has really just screwed our plans up...
So you plan on marring a drunk? I would advise against that.

TigerD

...arrested in 1998 for a DUI, case dismissed.
Arrested in 2001 for a DWI 1st offense, case dismissed.
Arrested in 2009 for a DWI 3rd, charges dropped.
Now in April 2016, my boyfriend was arrested again. Charges were DWI 3rd Offense. I'll admit the obvious, he seems to have a drinking problem. But honestly here, what is he looking at? I don't understand how its stating that this is his 3rd when the aforementioned arrest was stating it was his 3rd DWI.
Agreed, it doesn't make sense. Either he isn't telling you about some things - probable, or a mistake has been made.

I do know his BAC was a .18.
No, you don't. You know they claim his BAC was .18. He needs a qualified DWI lawyer.

He's been in jail since June 30 for a pre-trial violation.
That sucks.

We had planned to be married and this has really just screwed our plans up...
If you are still considering marriage, you might wish to consider a prenup and some asset protection planning.

TD

FlyingRon

You have to explain the nature of the charge dismissals. In some instances they do count as priors, in some they don't. His lawyer (of which he is in very dire need of) can investigate this.

nbigler4

So you plan on marring a drunk? I would advise against that.
No I am marrying a man who has made some bad choices in his life just as I have made some bad decisions in my own life. Its called being a human. Thank you for your advice, its been noted.

Silverplum

No I am marrying a man who has made some bad choices in his life just as I have made some bad decisions in my own life. Its called being a human. Thank you for your advice, its been noted.
I don't know if you have to be a spouse for conjugal visits, or if just a plan to commit later (after he gets sprung) is enough.

quincy

The best advice you can give your fiancé is for him to stop being "human" long enough to hire a good defense attorney. He needs one.

For you I recommend that you do not put down any deposits for wedding venues or caterers or florists or photographers. It would be smart to nix any idea of an open bar.

Good luck.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">