• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

5 year old DUI needs resolution ASAP

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

BrokeArtist

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Arizona

This involves: Arizona/California/Nevada

I was charged and convicted with a DUI in March of '08 in Mohave county Arizona. At the time, I was a resident of Nevada. My NV license was immediately suspended.
I have been underemployed or completely unemployed in the years between then and now. (Difficult to find good work when you live in a rural area and have no transportation)
I was unable to pay my fines and a warrant has been issued for failure to pay.
I currently live in California with family, and have a great job opportunity that will require me to have transportation. This job starts in 30 days.

I need to resolve the warrant, pay the fines, attend the MADD panel, maybe take the Alchohol classes, and re-acquire my driving privileges (license).
I have little/no money at present, tho once I start my job I'll have a good income to pay for all this...but need the vehicle first to get to the job every day.

My questions are as follows:
Will I still need to get an SR22 on my insurance?
Will I still need to get an ignition interlock still even tho its been 5 years and I have not been driving the entire time?
What are the chances I could get the suspension/revocation lifted to get a hardship/limited/work license?

Please HELP! I cannot afford all of this, let alone an attorney.
Thanks

sandyclaus

I was charged and convicted with a DUI in March of '08 in Mohave county Arizona. At the time, I was a resident of Nevada. My NV license was immediately suspended.
I have been underemployed or completely unemployed in the years between then and now. (Difficult to find good work when you live in a rural area and have no transportation)
I currently live in California with family, and have a great job opportunity that will require me to have transportation. This job starts in 30 days.

I need to resolve the warrant, pay the fines, attend the MADD panel, maybe take the Alchohol classes, and re-acquire my driving privileges (license).
I have little/no money at present, tho once I start my job I'll have a good income to pay for all this...but need the vehicle first to get to the job every day.

Will I still need to get an ignition interlock still even tho its been 5 years and I have not been driving the entire time?
What are the chances I could get the suspension/revocation lifted to get a hardship/limited/work license?

Thanks
Y'all seem to be putting the cart before the horse. I seriously doubt you are going to be able to do everything necessary to fix this within your 30 day window of opportunity.

You WON'T be able to get your license back until you pay the fines and resolve the warrant at the very least. Since you've waited 5 years, moved out of state, and failed to keep in touch with the court in order to try to come up with a plan or make ANY effort in handling your business, I can see no reason why they would let you get back your driving privileges - even on a hardship basis -without taking care of the other issues first.

TheGeekess

Keeper of the Kraken
Y'all seem to be putting the cart before the horse. I seriously doubt you are going to be able to do everything necessary to fix this within your 30 day window of opportunity.

You WON'T be able to get your license back until you pay the fines and resolve the warrant at the very least. Since you've waited 5 years, moved out of state, and failed to keep in touch with the court in order to try to come up with a plan or make ANY effort in handling your business, I can see no reason why they would let you get back your driving privileges - even on a hardship basis -without taking care of the other issues first.
Y'all is plural; it refers to more than one person. It's a common mistake made by those who aren't from the South. :cool:

BrokeArtist

So, I may be able to scrape together the money for the remainder of my fines, and take the MADD panel within the 30 days. That is doable.
It is the other aspects which concern me, as if I cannot get my DL back, I'm better off holding onto that money.

Minor repairs, Insurance, DMV registration costs, replacing a catalytic converter on the car to make it California legal, the cost & time to take the alcohol education...
Ignition interlock costs, etc. All of these are other considerations.

Sandyclaus: To state that I haven't made ANY effort is completely uninformed on your part as you have no idea what I really have done.
I don't owe the entire amount, just a remainder. As for moved out of state...
I never lived in AZ. I was visiting. When I moved from Nevada to California, I informed the court.
I did take part of my alcohol classes, but couldn't afford the remainder, etc. I do not drink (not a drop in 4 years, tho I was never really much of a drinker).
I feel as if you've taken this opportunity to anonymously abuse somebody in a difficult situation or spew contempt, rather than offer advice.

dave33

So, I may be able to scrape together the money for the remainder of my fines, and take the MADD panel within the 30 days. That is doable.
It is the other aspects which concern me, as if I cannot get my DL back, I'm better off holding onto that money.

Minor repairs, Insurance, DMV registration costs, replacing a catalytic converter on the car to make it California legal, the cost & time to take the alcohol education...

Sandyclaus: To state that I haven't made ANY effort is completely uninformed on your part as you have no idea what I really have done.
I never lived in AZ. I was visiting. When I moved from Nevada to California, I informed the court.
I did take part of my alcohol classes, but couldn't afford the remainder, etc. I do not drink (not a drop in 4 years, tho I was never really much of a drinker).
I feel as if you've taken this opportunity to anonymously abuse somebody in a difficult situation or spew contempt, rather than offer advice.
If this has to be done in 30 days than you may as well hold onto the $. The 1st thing to do is resolve the warrant issue which you do not yet know what that involves.
Also sometimes you cannot get into a class right away and even if you do they often are longer than 30 days.
Now you are finally getting to all of the remaining issues. 30 days? goodluck, you're gonna need it.

Thanks
You have zero chance of getting back a license in 30 days. If it's a good-paying job, consider paying a family member or acquaintance to get you from and to work. If the job itself requires a driver's license, then you are out of luck.

You have to satisfy the Arizona DMV and courts. Not sure if classes, etc. in CA fit their requirements. That would be the first thing to check.

You are new here. You will quickly realize that many regulars are in fact here to spew contempt only.

BrokeArtist

Thanks for the tips & advice so far!

My plan has been to take care of the fines and MADD class first. I am already registered for the MADD class.
Even if not I'm not able to take care of this in 30 days...it needs to be resolved ASAP.
I am currently investigating transportation options, but there is no public transpo within miles of my new workplace.
I have no family in the area where the job is located, nor any friends as I will be moving for this gig. I'm looking for apartments/rooms for rent now, but the options are few and insanely expensive.
The office is right near the beach, so Im sure you can imagine how crazy the rent is throughout the area. Hence, the desire to fix my vehicle issues first, so I can live further away, more cheaply, and commute to work.

robertreck19

hello there

As far as I have learned, you must have an ignition interlock device before you can reinstate your driver license after a conviction for an alcohol or drug related DUI or Physical Control of a motor vehicle, convictions of reckless driving and convictions of negligent driving. But, it depends on the situation if how long you must have the IID with you. In your case, you are convicted for DUI so the IID will be with you for:
1st offense: At least 1 year.
2nd offense: At least 5 years.
3rd or subsequent offenses: At least 10 years.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">