• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

7th DUI, 6th was in 1995

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

gbguhse

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Tennessee
Husband got picked up after individual called police to report he smelled like alcohol. Officer followed, and husband drove over yellow line twice and according to newspaper almost ran in ditch. Failed 2 out of 3 on site sobriety test. Bail is $5000, as DA and judge feel he is a habitual dui'er and would not reduce to $2000. Arresting officer indicated to me prior to court date that husband is looking at 1st offense since it has been over 10 years of last dui in another state (1995? in Kansas City). Husband takes over 10 prescribed medications - I took current bottles with enough meds for 4 days....thought he'd be out on lower bail-when I went to ask for bottles back so that I could add another week worth of medicines I am told that I have to bring in the full bottle. They never told me at the first delivery of meds that they had to be the full prescription count. Questions -- can they count 6 prior DUI's convictions from 1995 -- with no DUI's until now 2009? Does the no convictions in 10 years mean anything in his defense.

Taper420

How the hell does he still get away with driving after 6 DUI's in the first place??? My God he needs to be off the road...

gbguhse

Thanks for support. His DUIs were before I met him. He has been doing great - Vietnam Vet with alot of mental/PTSD problems from fighting a war he believed in for our freedom. Maybe one should not be so harsh until we walk in anothers shoes. He drinks because of flashbacks - things that had to be done in a time of war. I pray you never have to deal with anything so horrid! I love him - he's a good man - sometimes the memories are worse than any *!*# you can imagine. Thanks again for your kindness.

FlyingRon

I have a lot of respect for those who put themsevles in harms way, even if I didn't agree with the war. However, your husband is NOT doing well. Despite the reasons for him drinking, if he can not be under control enough to not drive intoxicated, he should not drive at all.

Further those medications may work against him as well. The statute is not "don't drive while impaired by alcohol or medication if you have a good reason" it's "don't drive while impaired by alcohol or medication."

On the better side, none of his history is going to count against him for the new DUI. Tennessee only looks back 10 years for the computation. However, the fact that he had such a high number of them can sway the judge away from any leniency at his discretion (which seems to be what has already happened).

The best thing you can do is find him a good lawyer at this point.

I can't imagine they insist on the bottles being full. However, they can very much insist that you deliver the drugs in the bottles they came in, rather than refilling other containers.

paguy88

I appricate his service.

however this statement

He drinks because of flashbacks
is BS. he drinks becasue he wants to and has an issue with 6 DUI's on his record. He needs to seek other help mental instead of turning to booze. if that is the case.

AHA

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Tennessee
Husband got picked up after individual called police to report he smelled like alcohol. Officer followed, and husband drove over yellow line twice and according to newspaper almost ran in ditch. Failed 2 out of 3 on site sobriety test. Bail is $5000, as DA and judge feel he is a habitual dui'er and would not reduce to $2000. Arresting officer indicated to me prior to court date that husband is looking at 1st offense since it has been over 10 years of last dui in another state (1995? in Kansas City). Husband takes over 10 prescribed medications - I took current bottles with enough meds for 4 days....thought he'd be out on lower bail-when I went to ask for bottles back so that I could add another week worth of medicines I am told that I have to bring in the full bottle. They never told me at the first delivery of meds that they had to be the full prescription count. Questions -- can they count 6 prior DUI's convictions from 1995 -- with no DUI's until now 2009? Does the no convictions in 10 years mean anything in his defense.

No sh*t?????
Old dog can't learn new tricks, huh? :mad:

20pilot

Is there some kind of a competition going on here? Yesterday's winnder was 3DUIs. Today we have someone 4 DUIs being trump'd by someone with 7 DUIs.

Last edited:

Isis1

i don't get it. i was scared to hell with my first DUI. if i want to drink, i stay home and do it. if i drink in a bar, i go to a bar in walking distance. if it's not in walking distance, i take a cab there, and take a cab back.

i know how to be an alcoholic without driving a car. if i can't afford it, i don't go. i don't understand how ANYONE gets a SECOND dui.

but how do you get SEVEN?????? and still be alive?? is this the person that doesn't stop until they kill themselves or someone else?

Seriously, I could care less why he drinks. I appreciate his service, BUT HE SHOULD NEVER BE ALLOWED BEHIND THE WHEEL OF AN AUTOMOBILE AGAIN. He's just lucky he hasn't killed anyone yet, that's the point of punishing DUI's, not just so they don't hurt themselves. So they don't hurt others.

I feel badly for your husband and his suffering, but he should not be allowed to drive and potentially contribute to someone else's suffering.

bossfan

i don't get it. i was scared to hell with my first DUI. if i want to drink, i stay home and do it. if i drink in a bar, i go to a bar in walking distance. if it's not in walking distance, i take a cab there, and take a cab back.

i know how to be an alcoholic without driving a car. if i can't afford it, i don't go. i don't understand how ANYONE gets a SECOND dui.

but how do you get SEVEN?????? and still be alive?? is this the person that doesn't stop until they kill themselves or someone else?
This is some of the best advice I've read in a long time. Wish I had seen it before I got my 2nd dui....even though it's being counted as a first. But time goes on after that first one and memories fade and sometimes you get reckless. Although I'm extremely upset with myself for getting another one, I'm using this latest experience (and your post) as inspiation to clean up my act. I've talked about quitting, but it's not the simple. I don't drink for the drinks....I drink for the atmosphere, the comraderie and the good times amongst friends. It's fri/sat's only....and sometimes only one of those days.

But my latest arrest came after a football game when I couldn't say no to multiple celebratory shots bought by my friends and I should have called a cab. But shoulda/coulda/woulda's don't work in this world. My new word is WILL. I WILL call a cab next time....and follow the rest of your sage advice. Drink close to home within walking distance. Take a cab TO the place your going if it's beyond walking distance, then you're forced to take a cab BACK. Smart. But the best line of all (that gave me a smile when I'm not doing too much of that lately) was:i know how to be an alcoholic without driving a car. :D

Take care.

Last edited:

20pilot

Although I'm extremely upset with myself for getting another one
If you are upset at getting the second DUI rather than continuing to drive drunk, then you have learnt absolutely nothing. And NO, I do not buy the sob story that you got caught the first time you drove drunk.
I drink for the atmosphere, the comraderie and the good times amongst friends.
You need better friends. You will never sober up if you hang out with people whose idea of a good item is to go out and drink or who celebrate things by getting drunk (likely consequence of multiple shots to celebrate).

bossfan

If you are upset at getting the second DUI rather than continuing to drive drunk, then you have learnt absolutely nothing. And NO, I do not buy the sob story that you got caught the first time you drove drunk.
You need better friends. You will never sober up if you hang out with people whose idea of a good item is to go out and drink or who celebrate things by getting drunk (likely consequence of multiple shots to celebrate).
Hey, thanks for the flaming. I do deserve it. And FYI I AM upset about making the foolish decision to drink and drive, NOT because I got 'caught' for the DUI. I have beat myself up mentally EVERY SINGLE DAY since it happened. I am getting little sleep, suffer from contant panic attacks (something I've never experienced before) and my daily anxiety is through the roof. I also mentioned in my other thread that my doctor has put me on anti-depressants and I'm also seeing a psychologist....another first for me on both counts. So yeah I'm upset with myself and it's not because of the 'trouble' I'm in. It's because I let myself down. I couldn't say 'NO' to the shots. By the time I'd had a few too many my judgement was severely impaired and I wish someone had grabbed the keys off of me. But what's done is done. I can't blame anyone else but myself.

As for your comments about hanging with the wrong crowd, I LOVE how people who are sober automatically lump those drink into the loser category.
ALL kinds of people drink, some heavily. Doctors, Pilots, POLICE OFFICERS (who are some of the worst boozers BTW), teachers.....and they do it while sitting right next to the masons, construction workers, and contractors. The problem in today's society isn't as much alcohol.....THAT is LEGAL. It's choosing to drink and drive. Or at least not making arrangements for a ride prior to drinking. And when did I say I wanted to sober up? I have thought about it....but I'd rather get more responsible with my drinking. I'd rather drink LESS. A lot less. I'd rather learn to say NO to multiple shots. I'd like to become the person who can sip on a bottle of beer and make it last for an hour. But maybe it's too late for all that. Maybe I DO need to get completely sober. However, I'll leave that up to a health care professional to decide (I am planning on seeking help and counsel on my drinking habits ON MY OWN before the courts hand down their treatment plan) and not some random person on a message board. But thanks anyway.

Two quick stories. So you think the whole world is against the drunk drivers? You believe that every person in a position of authority drops the hammer every time or looks down on the DUI driver?

1) When I was arrested, I had a friend of my father's speak to the district judge confidentially as they are close friends for many years. NOT in an attempt to get out of it, but just to see what I was looking at this time around. He told the DJ that my car had slid off the road into snow and I was arrested waiting there for a ride and trying to arrange for a tow. GUESS what the DJ said? "Why didn't he just leave the car there"?
Hmmmm. Leave the car. Should have done exactly that.

2) Close friend of mine pulled over by local police afew weeks after MY arrest. He's BLASTED. Can't even walk (his words). Four officers involved. My friend BTW is a state prison guard. He's told to get out of the vehicle and informs them that he's licensed to carry and has a gun. ALL of their weapons are then drawn. At one point he starts mouthing off to the female cop. One of the other cops finds his prison ID while searching for his license. Puts my friend in cuffs, tells him he's going downtown, and the car is getting towed. Gets to the police station, a SGT appears from an office and my friend starts asking "What are we doing here? Breath test or blood?" The SGT says if he would shut up for 10 seconds he will tell him. First he says "What are you doing, man?" My friend just shrugs shoulders. Then the SGT says "Here's what's gonna happen. You are being cited for public drunkeness. You will plead not guilty. The officer will NOT show up. Don't let this happen again." Nice, eh?

And one more bonus story for you. The first attorney I saw is also the local mayor of a decent sized town in my area. VERY well known and liked guy. He looks over the police report, notices the high BAC, and asked for details about the arrest. I expected him to say something like "Well you're just lucky somebody wasn't hurt". Nope. He shakes his head and says "You know that's just bad luck with the weather conditions an all. 9 times out of 10 you would have made it to where you were headed."

So there you have it. We live in an anti-DUI world? MADD would have you believe that.

Hey I think drinking and driving is dangerous and stupid. But even talking to the officer during my first arrest (that was in 1996 BTW....13 years ago) I explained that in a perfect world there would be enough taxis and designated drivers to handle the volume intoxicated people needing rides. But that just isn't the case. He agreed and said "That's why you just need to be careful".

That's all I have for now. I have suffered for this. I am going to continue suffering. I may lose my job. I live with the guilt every day. I suppose you're right, I did NOT learn my lesson from the first. But as God is my witness I AM going to learn from my second. And at least that's more than some people can say. Have a nice day.

Antigone*

Hey, thanks for the flaming. I do deserve it. And FYI I AM upset about making the foolish decision to drink and drive, NOT because I got 'caught' for the DUI. I have beat myself up mentally EVERY SINGLE DAY since it happened. I am getting little sleep, suffer from contant panic attacks (something I've never experienced before) and my daily anxiety is through the roof. I also mentioned in my other thread that my doctor has put me on anti-depressants and I'm also seeing a psychologist....another first for me on both counts. So yeah I'm upset with myself and it's not because of the 'trouble' I'm in. It's because I let myself down. I couldn't say 'NO' to the shots. By the time I'd had a few too many my judgement was severely impaired and I wish someone had grabbed the keys off of me. But what's done is done. I can't blame anyone else but myself.

As for your comments about hanging with the wrong crowd, I LOVE how people who are sober automatically lump those drink into the loser category.
ALL kinds of people drink, some heavily. Doctors, Pilots, POLICE OFFICERS (who are some of the worst boozers BTW), teachers.....and they do it while sitting right next to the masons, construction workers, and contractors. The problem in today's society isn't as much alcohol.....THAT is LEGAL. It's choosing to drink and drive. Or at least not making arrangements for a ride prior to drinking. And when did I say I wanted to sober up? I have thought about it....but I'd rather get more responsible with my drinking. I'd rather drink LESS. A lot less. I'd rather learn to say NO to multiple shots. I'd like to become the person who can sip on a bottle of beer and make it last for an hour. But maybe it's too late for all that. Maybe I DO need to get completely sober. However, I'll leave that up to a health care professional to decide (I am planning on seeking help and counsel on my drinking habits ON MY OWN before the courts hand down their treatment plan) and not some random person on a message board. But thanks anyway.

Two quick stories. So you think the whole world is against the drunk drivers? You believe that every person in a position of authority drops the hammer every time or looks down on the DUI driver?

1) When I was arrested, I had a friend of my father's speak to the district judge confidentially as they are close friends for many years. NOT in an attempt to get out of it, but just to see what I was looking at this time around. He told the DJ that my car had slid off the road into snow and I was arrested waiting there for a ride and trying to arrange for a tow. GUESS what the DJ said? "Why didn't he just leave the car there"?
Hmmmm. Leave the car. Should have done exactly that.

2) Close friend of mine pulled over by local police afew weeks after MY arrest. He's BLASTED. Can't even walk (his words). Four officers involved. My friend BTW is a state prison guard. He's told to get out of the vehicle and informs them that he's licensed to carry and has a gun. ALL of their weapons are then drawn. At one point he starts mouthing off to the female cop. One of the other cops finds his prison ID while searching for his license. Puts my friend in cuffs, tells him he's going downtown, and the car is getting towed. Gets to the police station, a SGT appears from an office and my friend starts asking "What are we doing here? Breath test or blood?" The SGT says if he would shut up for 10 seconds he will tell him. First he says "What are you doing, man?" My friend just shrugs shoulders. Then the SGT says "Here's what's gonna happen. You are being cited for public drunkeness. You will plead not guilty. The officer will NOT show up. Don't let this happen again." Nice, eh?

And one more bonus story for you. The first attorney I saw is also the local mayor of a decent sized town in my area. VERY well known and liked guy. He looks over the police report, notices the high BAC, and asked for details about the arrest. I expected him to say something like "Well you're just lucky somebody wasn't hurt". Nope. He shakes his head and says "You know that's just bad luck with the weather conditions an all. 9 times out of 10 you would have made it to where you were headed."

So there you have it. We live in an anti-DUI world? MADD would have you believe that.

Hey I think drinking and driving is dangerous and stupid. But even talking to the officer during my first arrest (that was in 1996 BTW....13 years ago) I explained that in a perfect world there would be enough taxis and designated drivers to handle the volume intoxicated people needing rides. But that just isn't the case. He agreed and said "That's why you just need to be careful".

That's all I have for now. I have suffered for this. I am going to continue suffering. I may lose my job. I live with the guilt every day. I suppose you're right, I did NOT learn my lesson from the first. But as God is my witness I AM going to learn from my second. And at least that's more than some people can say. Have a nice day.
Dude, you did realize that your drunkeness has hijacked the drunk hubbies thread right???

It's thanks to a drunk just like you that one of our shining stars was killed yesterday. A 3-time drunk driver who forever drove on a suspended license killed Nick Adenheart. Who you going to end up killing ~ I don't want to know.:mad:

bossfan

Dude, you did realize that your drunkeness has hijacked the drunk hubbies thread right???

It's thanks to a drunk just like you that one of our shining stars was killed yesterday. A 3-time drunk driver who forever drove on a suspended license killed Nick Adenheart. Who you going to end up killing ~ I don't want to know.:mad:
Again....quick judgements. I'm NOT going to kill anyone and thank God I never have. Did you read ALL of what I wrote? I'm DONE drinking and driving. I'll walk to a bar or I won't drink at all. If I decide to drink I'll arrange for transportation. I have put the #'s of three taxi companys in my phone since this latest incident. It SICKENS me that I did this not once but twice. I saw that about the pitcher who got killed. It's stuff like that that makes me seriously think about quitting forever. Maybe I'll go to AA class to just listen. I know there's more to life out there than just hanging out with friends drinking. At this stage of my life it's tough to change old habits but it's prob worth trying.

Prayers for that pitcher's family and friends. Sorry for hijacking this thread....I'm good at that.

lenny71

Again....quick judgements. I'm NOT going to kill anyone and thank God I never have. Did you read ALL of what I wrote? I'm DONE drinking and driving. I'll walk to a bar or I won't drink at all. If I decide to drink I'll arrange for transportation. I have put the #'s of three taxi companys in my phone since this latest incident. It SICKENS me that I did this not once but twice. I saw that about the pitcher who got killed. It's stuff like that that makes me seriously think about quitting forever. Maybe I'll go to AA class to just listen. I know there's more to life out there than just hanging out with friends drinking. At this stage of my life it's tough to change old habits but it's prob worth trying.

Prayers for that pitcher's family and friends. Sorry for hijacking this thread....I'm good at that.
The problem with alcohol is that it clouds judgement. Sober you say you will not drink and drive and will set definitive rules. Similar to the infamous Audrey Kishline, we state a logical approach to drinking.

Then it is 11 pm and 6 beers later and even though you are at home a Big Mac sure sounds good and it is only 3 miles and a short drive away...

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">