• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Acquiring liscence in Michigan while liscence is suspended in California.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

zephyrmontague

Michigan

I have recently moved to Michigan, and I was wondering if I could get a Michigan Drivers License while my license in California is suspended. I did not pay my DUI fine in California, and my license was set to be suspended until October. My license in California is no longer set to be suspended as the time frame for the suspension is over, however I did not pay my fine do to financial trouble and now live in Michigan. I am getting my Michigan ID in about a month as I had to wait for my birth certificate to be mailed to me. When I get my Michigan ID, will I be able to use it to get a Michigan drivers liscencse. I know the secretary of state system in Michigan is separate from the DMV system in all other states. I was wondering if there will be any issues when I go to get my Michigan drivers liscense. Any advice or if anyone has experienced a similar situation would be appreciated, I don't want to go into this blind. Thanks.

justalayman

Your California license would be suspended until you paid your fines.

As to Michigan being independent: yes and no.

http://www.nhtsa.gov/Data/National+Driver+Register+(NDR)

Michigan utilizes that just like every other state. It's the drivers license compact they don't belong to.

quincy

Michigan

I have recently moved to Michigan, and I was wondering if I could get a Michigan Drivers License while my license in California is suspended. I did not pay my DUI fine in California, and my license was set to be suspended until October. My license in California is no longer set to be suspended as the time frame for the suspension is over, however I did not pay my fine do to financial trouble and now live in Michigan. I am getting my Michigan ID in about a month as I had to wait for my birth certificate to be mailed to me. When I get my Michigan ID, will I be able to use it to get a Michigan drivers liscencse. I know the secretary of state system in Michigan is separate from the DMV system in all other states. I was wondering if there will be any issues when I go to get my Michigan drivers liscense. Any advice or if anyone has experienced a similar situation would be appreciated, I don't want to go into this blind. Thanks.
No, you will not (as a rule) be able to get a Michigan drivers license if your license has been suspended in another state. You must take care of the suspended license first.

You will want to request a driver license hearing.

Here is a link to Michigan's Secretary of State on driver license hearings: http://www.michigan.gov/sos/0,8611,7-127-1627_8665_9074-29353--,00.html

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">