• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Admitted DUI

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
This is the OP, I am the father, mom has been mostly missing in action for the last 7 years. Also I do not drink so any knowledge I have of OVI laws are what I see in the papers, hence my initial questions, typical knee jerk reaction on my part.

He will be securing his own attorney if he goes that route, he is considering just pleading no contest but personally I would like to see him get some representation, not to try and beat the charge but so things are handled for the best outcome. He deserves to be punished and will accept what the court orders, but he has a good job with good potential and I hope he doesn't lose that due to stupidity, no public transportation where we live or close to his work.

Thanks for the input, I will suggest to him he contacts an attorney.
Sorry OP. No offense for thinking you were the mother. I apologize for that assumption.

He should get representation. There are consequences down the line (collateral) that the attorney could explain as well as making sure that your son says and does the right thing.

One of the first things he should do is shut down his facebook and other social media accounts because if he talks at all about partying, drinking, or the location shows he was at a bar between now and his sentencing, that will work against him majorly.

You need to protect yourself however. Call insurance and tell them. And exclude him as a driver on your vehicles. Have him get his own insurance. He may get work privileges HOWEVER if he is caught going anywhere but the specific place of employment that will screw with him majorly.

Sorry OP. No offense for thinking you were the mother. I apologize for that assumption.

He should get representation. There are consequences down the line (collateral) that the attorney could explain as well as making sure that your son says and does the right thing.

One of the first things he should do is shut down his facebook and other social media accounts because if he talks at all about partying, drinking, or the location shows he was at a bar between now and his sentencing, that will work against him majorly.

You need to protect yourself however. Call insurance and tell them. And exclude him as a driver on your vehicles. Have him get his own insurance. He may get work privileges HOWEVER if he is caught going anywhere but the specific place of employment that will screw with him majorly.

No offense taken Ohiogal, father or mother makes no difference, just a parent with questions.

He does have an attorney lined up. I had to speak with him to arrange payment and I asked about the insurance, he advised at this point to let it ride until we see how things pan out. My son automatically lost his license for 90 days so won't be driving anyway. The sad irony of the insurance is I had just changed insurance companies, the new policy went into effect the very day my son got his OVI. But yes, as soon as this is over he goes on his own plan, I will not pay for his bad decisions.

Thanks everyone for your input

lbcmarine

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Ohio

My 21 year old son got ticketed for DUI last night, he blew a .14. He was pulled over for weaving by a state patrolman. This is his first driving offense and he has no criminal history. He admitted to the patrolman that he had been drinking, the officer had his car towed and then brought him home. (he still lives with me)

His hearing is Monday, do I even bother getting a lawyer or just have him plead no contest? Does the admission of guilt to the officer during the traffic stop seal his fate?
He is still on my auto insurance, do I need to contact the insurance company or let them find out on their own?

Thanks
Hire an attorney. Let him foot the bill for all of it. Worst thing you can do "regardless of statements" is just give in to the charges. Attorneys will look at the evidence and the facts. Who knows, he may have a good case. Regardless of it all, it is his consequence and he needs to take responsibility. Just give him words of encouragement and make sure he does the right thing from now on.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">