• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Advice for Minor in Possession charge

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

MMRD

What are the potential consequences for minor in possession of alcohol and initially lying about being 21?
I was arrested on Rehoboth Beach on Tuesday, June 9, 2015 for drinking underage on the beach. Was charged with minor in possession and falsifying information. I did not lie about my name or where I was from just that I was 21, and a few minutes later I told the officer that I was in fact not 21 but 19 years old. My court date is scheduled for May 24. I am 19 years old and from Pennsylvania. First time being arrested.

CdwJava

Furnishing a false birthdate can be the equivalent of furnishing false identification because it was not your identification. So, you see how you went from one citation, to two?

Do you have the specific statutes under which you were charged?

MMRD

The official charges were: Criminal Impersonation Impersonate Another to Obtain Benefit or Defraud and Underage Possession/Consumption of Alcohol

perlet123

Legal Consequences

Some of the legal consequences attached to MIP charges include:

-Monetary fines
-Possible jail time
-Mandatory participation in a court-ordered rehabilitation or substance abuse education program
-Participate in community service activities

MIP punishments are typically moderate for first-time offenders. However, repeat convictions can lead to increasingly severe penalties with each offense.

quincy

I don't know what state perlot123 is referring to (or exactly where he came from ;)) but here are the Pennsylvania laws that are involved (scroll down to §6307 and §6308):

http://www.legis.state.pa.us/cfdocs/legis/LI/consCheck.cfm?txtType=HTM&ttl=18&div=08chpt=63

Because this is an older thread that perlot123 found, and MMRD's court date on May 24 has already come and gone, I imagine MMRD has already discovered what the consequences are for being a minor in possession of alcohol and for lying to the police about his age.

These are, by the way, summary offenses in Pennsylvania. There is no jail time or mandatory program participation. There is a fine.

Last edited:

FlyingRon

Rehoboth Beach is in Delaware.

Assuming these are your first offenses all the way around:

The making false statements to procure alcohol is $100-500 fine (plus costs).
Minor in possession is $100 fine and loss of license for 30 days.
Providing a false statement to a police officer investigating a crime is a class A misdemeanor when the crime isn't a felony.

Class A misdemeanors are punishable by $2300 in fines or a year in jail or both.

If you're charged with the false statement to police officer, it would behoove you to have an attorney. The rest is small potatoes.

Last edited:

quincy

Ah. Well perlet123 is apparently not referring to Delaware, either. :)

Minor in possession of alcohol/providing false age - first offenses result in a fine. No mandatory program participation. No jail (unless the offender does not pay the fine - then jail becomes a possibility). And for out-of-state offenders, no driver license action.

http://codes.lp.findlaw.com/decode/4/9/904

single317dad

It seems MMRD traveled here from the future, or the past, or some parallel universe where May 24th comes after June 11th.

Or missed his court date.

Or made a typo.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">