• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Aggreavated DWI / leaving scene in NY

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

corlef

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? New York

On Thursday I was arrested for an aggravated DWI and leaving the scene of an accident. I side swiped someone and tried to get off the highway, leading to another highway, and then finally I got off and parked my car. I know it was completely stupid of me to do this, but I completely panicked and was not acting rationally at all (clearly). Shortly after the police came and arrested me where I was charged, fingerprinted, and then they called a taxi to take me home. I am 22, have a completely clean record, and just finished my 1st semester in law school (which is why I was out drinking). This is probably the dumbest thing I have ever done in my life, and I am so thankful that I did not hurt another person. I have my arraignment this Friday and I know I need a lawyer, but my question is whether it will make a difference if I hire a lawyer or get a court appointed attorney. My father is unemployed, and I have been putting myself through school, and literally do not have any money to my name. I know this is something that I need to pay the consequences for because of how horrendously dangerous my actions were. I'm mainly concerned if hiring a lawyer versus receiving counsel from the court will make any difference. If it will somehow put me in a better position to hire an attorney, I will open a credit card to pay for them, but I was just wondering if anyone knew if it is worth it or not.

corlef

I blew a 2 I believe in the police station, whatever it is that puts you over the 1.8 of an aggravated charge. The police told me that there were no injuries in the accident, thankfully.

Just Blue

I blew a 2 I believe in the police station, whatever it is that puts you over the 1.8 of an aggravated charge. The police told me that there were no injuries in the accident, thankfully.
.08 is legally drunk. 2.0 would kill you. Are you sure is wasn't .20?

BL

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? New York

On Thursday I was arrested for an aggravated DWI and leaving the scene of an accident. I side swiped someone and tried to get off the highway, leading to another highway, and then finally I got off and parked my car. I know it was completely stupid of me to do this, but I completely panicked and was not acting rationally at all (clearly). Shortly after the police came and arrested me where I was charged, fingerprinted, and then they called a taxi to take me home. I am 22, have a completely clean record, and just finished my 1st semester in law school (which is why I was out drinking). This is probably the dumbest thing I have ever done in my life, and I am so thankful that I did not hurt another person. I have my arraignment this Friday and I know I need a lawyer, but my question is whether it will make a difference if I hire a lawyer or get a court appointed attorney. My father is unemployed, and I have been putting myself through school, and literally do not have any money to my name. I know this is something that I need to pay the consequences for because of how horrendously dangerous my actions were. I'm mainly concerned if hiring a lawyer versus receiving counsel from the court will make any difference. If it will somehow put me in a better position to hire an attorney, I will open a credit card to pay for them, but I was just wondering if anyone knew if it is worth it or not.
In reality court appointed attorneys for the indigent are in the court room most days in front of the Judges .

They know how each Judge rules on like charges .

Yes , a high profile DWI defense attorney may be able to come up with better defenses , and not be scared to get on the wrong side of the Judge .

Public Defenders however , just like any other attorney , come in both flavors .

Either they are good and willing to fight the charges , or they're not so good and do not want to get on the wrong side of the Judge .

My personal opinion is for first time offenses such as these , a court appointed attorney will know what kind of leniency the Judge allows , and do their job .

Remember though , public defenders are busy and often time have to take on more cases than they'd like each day .

So they are extremely busy .

Personally , I had a PD once years and years ago for a DWI .

The PD showed me the file and told me what was agreed to .

When I went in front of the Judge , the Judge was trying to impose a stiffer fine .

I asked for a moment to confer w/ my PD .

He opened the file and sure enough 3 times it indicated what was agreed to .

He spoke up for me . The Judge didn't like it , but said if that's what was agreed to , so be it .

The moral of the story is you have to keep on top of what's going on too .

I know the lawyer is suppose to do all this , but just a reminder .

BTW do not minimize by excuses of your actions .

You had a choice to not drink and drive .

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">