• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Ambien on a road trip

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

dankeschoen

When taking a long drive (e.g., between St. Louis & L.A.), occasionally on a long stretch through sparsely populated areas, I sleep in my car. Most of the time I get a hotel room, but it is sometimes my practice to simply pull over at a restaurant, rest area, Walmart store, etc. and sleep in my car. Restaurants that don't serve breakfast (e.g., Pizza Hut) are among my favorite parking spots.

I am also a nightly user of Ambien. I have never driven under the influence of Ambien (or anything else), and I never will. Is it a DUI offense by parking, putting the shade in my windshield, taking Ambien, putting my seat all the way back, and going to sleep? I will not drive until morning, but how do I get around that "physical control of the vehicle" thing? Is it good enough to move to the passenger seat or backseat? What if I put the keys in the trunk?

CdwJava

Different states have differing legal definitions as to what constitutes DUI. In some states being under the influence in the car may be sufficient, in others it will require the car be in operation or keys be in the ignition.

You might also be considered under the influence in a public place if impaired or asleep on ambien. And, there may well be local camping ordinance you will violate by being asleep in these places.

A hotel would be your best bet.

Since ambien is supposed to be a short-term use drug only, shouldn't you be nearly at the end of the cycle where it is needed?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
:confused:

How do you get them back out?
Remote opening of the trunk (by key fob or lever). Or, possibly, the key for the trunk is different than the key for the ignition (A lot of GM's were like that in the past.)

La-a

Remote opening of the trunk (by key fob or lever). Or, possibly, the key for the trunk is different than the key for the ignition (A lot of GM's were like that in the past.)
Thank you! I was going a little nuts trying to figure out that scenario. :eek:

OHRoadwarrior

It takes 5 to 6 half lives, for a sleeping pill to be out of your system. Ambien will be with you for about 12 hours. A 5 hour nap is not sufficient. A quarter pill would leave your system faster. Consult your doctor.

Last edited:

TheGeekess

Keeper of the Kraken
It takes 5 to 6 half lives, for a sleeping pill to be out of your system. Ambien will be with you for about 12 hours. A 5 hour nap is not sufficient. A quarter pill would leave your system faster. Consult your doctor.
Dude, it's obvious you don't know a whole heck of a lot about Ambien. :cool:

OHRoadwarrior

It amazes me the limitations of knowledge I incur. A quarter pill should have a negligible remaining amount in a persons system after 5 hours.

Ask an Expert: Half life of medication

The half-life of Ambien is about 2 hours. Most drugs are cleared from the body within 5 or 6 half-lives. Therefore, if he took the Ambien on Friday night, it should be out of his system within 10 to 12 hours. This is only an estimate however. Each individual person will metabolize drugs differently depending on things such as weight, liver function, kidney function, and other factors.

What does that mean? As far as I know, the term "half life" only has meaning in regards to radioactive elements or compounds.
See "biological half life" or "elimination half life" on Wikipedia. It's the time a substance takes to lose half of it's pharmacologic or physiologic activity. Very similar idea to the rate of decay of a radioactive element except applied to drugs and other substances.

Last edited:

Banned_Princess

I am an ambien user, and can tell you it doesn't work on everybody.

Tylenol PM works better on me.

but if it does work on you, you might want to wait until you get to your destination before knocking yourself out.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">