• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Another multi-state question

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

seekingadvice62

My partner was arrested for a super extreme DUI in AZ (0.26) in late Sept. It was his first offense. He was driving from FL to CA and held a FL driver's license. He now lives in CA. After having his court appearance delayed to Dec, he opted not to attend his court hearing and forfeited his bail ($5K) on Jan 4. Presumably, by not attending his mandated court appearances, he has been found guilty of the DUI.

He doesn't seem very concerned about the potential outcomes here but I am. Since he chose not to attend his court appearance and the subsequent bail hearing, what are the repercussions for him here in CA? He would be required to serve 45 days in jail in AZ, among other penalties. Also, he successfully applied for the CA license in mid-Dec but has not yet received it in the mail. Is it likely that they will discover his DUI arrest and not provide him with a CA license? To complicate matters, he has also applied for a replacement license from FL and seems to think that will be coming in the mail too.

I appreciate any advice or clarifications this forum can provide.

CdwJava

He will eventually lose his privilege to drive even here in CA if not already.

He is also a wanted fugitive and that will impact his ability to gain employment, government aid, welfare, loans, and all manner of things over the years he remains a wanted fugitive.

It is also possible that he might find himself detained by the police occasionally while they try to determine if the state that holds the warrant is willing to extradite him or not.

seekingadvice62

Thank you, CdwJava. I assumed there would be a warrant issued for his arrest since he did not appear before the court in AZ although I wasn't sure what the likelihood of extradition would be in a state-to-state situation. I know that AZ and CA take DUIs very seriously.

If he continues to evade the ruling in AZ, would his license be suspended indefinitely in CA?

CdwJava

Thank you, CdwJava. I assumed there would be a warrant issued for his arrest since he did not appear before the court in AZ although I wasn't sure what the likelihood of extradition would be in a state-to-state situation. I know that AZ and CA take DUIs very seriously.

If he continues to evade the ruling in AZ, would his license be suspended indefinitely in CA?
Until reinstated in AZ, it will be suspended here once CA is notified of the suspension.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">