• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Another question about INTERLOCK. Please help.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

K24K

What is the name of your state? MA

Unfortunately I got my 2nd DUI one year ago. I have completed almost everything that was required by court and soon will qualify for hardship license, but as far as I know I must install interlocking device in ANY car that i drive, so there are my questions:

1. What happens if the car is at the mechanic for a few days or a week ? Does everyone have to breeze in the same tube that I use ?
2. What if the car goes to body shop for a month ?
3. After my suspension period ends, do I HAVE to drive a car with interlock for 2 years? What if i choose to live in the city for several years, do I still have to drive 2 years with interlock after that ?
4. What if i get into an accident and get a rent-a-car ? can i drive the rental ? if not then how can i get to work ?
5. I work in construction business and MUST drive a company car to work that many people drive, and sometimes its different cars ? is there a way out or I actually have to quite my job ? (i doubt the company will agree to get interlock in their trucks....haha)

Thanks for all the help. and Sorry for many questions. I just don't understand how can I LIVE with this device

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
You have to live with that device because quite frankly you are a two time learner who did not learn after the first DUI. You have to live with that device so tht the rest of us have a shot of living if you are anywhere around. You are ONLY allowed to drive the car with the interlock device. If you get caught driving another vehicle you could find yourself behind bars. The fact that you are inconvenienced is a good thing. Heck a great thing. Because you made the choices that caused you to drink and drive and get caught MORE than once. how many times were you behind the wheel after drinking and you were not caught?

FlyingRon

K24K;1792595 1. What happens if the car is at the mechanic for a few days or a week ? Does everyone have to breeze in the same tube that I use ? [/QUOTE said:
Lay in extra mouth pieces. They only cost a few bucks per dozen.
2. What if the car goes to body shop for a month ?
Well, the car isn't usually driven too much while it's in the body shop and most shops know how to do so without the interlock.
3. After my suspension period ends, do I HAVE to drive a car with interlock for 2 years? What if i choose to live in the city for several years, do I still have to drive 2 years with interlock after that ?
For the two years after you hard suspension you must have the interlock IF you drive. If you decide to not to drive at all, you don't need the interlock at all. That is, you can avoid the interlock totally if you abstain from driving at all for two years.
4. What if i get into an accident and get a rent-a-car ? can i drive the rental ? if not then how can i get to work ?
No, your license is essentially still REVOKED for cars not equipped without the interlock. It's a very serious offense to drive on a license revoked for DUI. It's not our problem how you get to work...those are the issues with your SECOND conviction.
5. I work in construction business and MUST drive a company car to work that many people drive, and sometimes its different cars ? is there a way out or I actually have to quite my job ? (i doubt the company will agree to get interlock in their trucks....haha)
You better find something different to do for a living (although a sympathetic judge might waive the interlock requirement in this case, but I don't know how things go in your area).
Thanks for all the help. and Sorry for many questions. I just don't understand how can I LIVE with this device
Living with the device is better than not being allowed to drive PERIOD. Think of the interlock as a great favor the Commonwealth of Massachusettes is extending to you after your reprehensible irresponsibility on the roads previously.

K24K

thanks for the reply. I would love not to drive during the first two years and after that get a 2 year hardship license but with out interlock. I wish this was an option. Maybe it is something that can be granted in front of the judge.

ps. what are the real life expenses on interlock per month ? Installation cost ? Monthly fee ? Getting data out ? Calibration ?

CavemanLawyer

Interlock isn't cheap. It costs anywhere from $100-$200 to get it installed and then anywhere from $70-$100 per month for rental of the equipment. I have seen rental fees as low as $40 a month though. There are also miscellaneous costs for maintenance and downloading/uploading of data. You also have to bring your car in about once a month for calibration. But...the whole point of interlock is that it's not supposed to be easy.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">