• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

any defense?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

vonnegutfan

What is the name of your state? PA

I was driving home the other night and passed a police officer coming the opposite direction. He made a quick u-turn to follow me. I live right up the street, and I was in my garage when I heard the siren and saw the lights. I was never given a ticket or even told why I was followed. I was riding a motorcycle, and when the pursuing officer stops me in my garage he asks me if I was wearing a helmet, which I was, as it was sitting on the seat of my bike. Does this sound strange to any of you? It's just like there was no reason for the stop other than to follow me on my bike into my garage. Don't you think the police should have mentioned why I was being pulled over?

You Are Guilty

vonnegutfan said:

I was driving home the other night and passed a police officer coming the opposite direction. He made a quick u-turn to follow me. I live right up the street, and I was in my garage when I heard the siren and saw the lights. I was never given a ticket or even told why I was followed. I was riding a motorcycle, and when the pursuing officer stops me in my garage he asks me if I was wearing a helmet, which I was, as it was sitting on the seat of my bike. Does this sound strange to any of you? It's just like there was no reason for the stop other than to follow me on my bike into my garage. Don't you think the police should have mentioned why I was being pulled over?
Wow, that sucks. I guess you have really stupid police where you live. Even out here, they know about the Homebase Rule (once you're on private property, they can't follow you). I'd suggest that you go in on your court date and let them have it for violating your civil rights like that. It's almost like they have it out for people who ride motorcycles. Maybe even discrimination. I don't suppose you're a minority, too? Maybe you could sue your town and the police department.

Good luck.

gawm

vonnegutfan said:

They have to pull you over Before they can tell you why you are being pulled over. In this case it was because he thought you weren't wearing a helmet. Is there a helmet law in PA? You didn't get a ticket, right?

vonnegutfan

No, I didn't get a ticket. There was no mention of one or any mention of why they followed me home. I'm pretty sure it was because I was on a bike, though.
Helmet law applies to anyone who hasn't had a valid motorcycle liscense for 2 years or more. Everyone has to wear eye protection.
So do you think I have a case?

gawm

vonnegutfan said:
No, I didn't get a ticket. There was no mention of one or any mention of why they followed me home. I'm pretty sure it was because I was on a bike, though.
Helmet law applies to anyone who hasn't had a valid motorcycle liscense for 2 years or more. Everyone has to wear eye protection.
So do you think I have a case?
A case for what?:confused: You have no damages!

You Are Guilty

vonnegutfan said:
I got a DUI.
Sue the police, the town/village and the state. I bet that'll get their attention. Maybe even contact your local media and see if they can publicize your plight. You'll need all the help you can get.

moburkes

vonnegutfan said:
I was never given a ticket or even told why I was followed...Don't you think the police should have mentioned why I was being pulled over?

I got a DUI.
How, in the first post, were you pulled over without receiving a ticket, but a few posts later you say that you got a DUI?

You didn't remember, when you were asking the question that you got a ticket? Or didn't you think a DUI was a ticket? And, according to a post from 2004, you received another DUI? Was that a ticket?
So are you saying that the DUI you got wasn't enough of a "mention" for you?

I'm confused.

vonnegutfan

What I mean by no ticket is that my last one, I actually recieved a ticket (a warning) for driving 25+ in a 25mph zone. This time, I just went to walk out of my garage and there was a cop with his lights on, and I was never given a speeding ticket or warning for a traffic violation etc. There was no mention of a reason for a stop. The last time, I went home with a bunch of paperwork, and this time I went home with nothing.

moburkes

vonnegutfan said:
What I mean by no ticket is that my last one, I actually recieved a ticket (a warning) for driving 25+ in a 25mph zone. This time, I just went to walk out of my garage and there was a cop with his lights on, and I was never given a speeding ticket or warning for a traffic violation etc. There was no mention of a reason for a stop. The last time, I went home with a bunch of paperwork, and this time I went home with nothing.
So you didn't get a DUI like you said?

vonnegutfan

The officer had me do field sobriety tests, breathalyzer, and took me to the hospital for a blood test in cuffs, so I'm pretty sure I got a DUI. What I'm wondering is why I got no paperwork.

vonnegutfan

Also wondering how police can just walk into my garage. And shouldn't they have mentioned why they pulled me over?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">