• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Applying to Law School; DUI on my record

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

jackson10

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? TX

I am applying to law school and I would like some help regarding how to handle the C&F portion of the applications.
I got a DUI shortly before leaving my hometown for college. As I moved several thousand miles away from where I got the DUI, my parents handled the legal aspect, I simply took my Youth Drinking & Driving Prevention program and turned in my DL for 90 days. There was some discrepancy between my father and I over who each of us thought was turning in the money to the court (he thought I was writing the court a check, whereas I thought I was writing him a check and he was paying the court). Needless to say, my paperwork and money weren't turned in on time, and a warrant was issued for my arrest for about two weeks until we got it straightened out. I've was able to obtain a copy of my criminal record from the county where I got the DUI. Most of it is in shorthand, but I've been able to interpret the following:

Sept 04 - DUI (minor) - Class C Misdemeanor
Disposition: Non-Adjudication of Guilt, given 90 days probation, and must complete YDDP program.
April 05 - (Missed payment date) Probation revoked; Warrant issued
May 05 - Disposition: Revocation motion withdrawn & probation discharged.
May 05 - Disposition: Charge dismissed; No finding of guilt
Disposition comment: Probation dismissed

The wording on the applications is generally something along these lines:
"Have you ever been convicted of a misdemeanor or felony (excluding minor traffic violations)? As used herein a conviction includes a plea of guilty or nolo contendere, or a verdict of finding of guilt, regardless of whether sentence is imposed by the court. You must disclose this requested information even if the charges were juvenile convictions, the conviction was stayed or vacated, the record was sealed or expunged, or you were told you need not disclose this information. If "yes," for each occurrence furnish complete facts, including the date, name and nature of the offense, the name and locality of the court, and the disposition of each such matter in a separate written or electronic statement and enclose it with this application."

I'm new to all the legalese, so I'm uncertain as to whether I was 'convicted' or pled 'nolo contendre,' etc. Specifically, I'm wondering if I need to disclose the arrest warrant if it was dismissed. Do I need to include all of the above, or can I just include the DUI charge and the NAOG/probation & YDDP program, which was eventually dismissed?
Thank you in advance for your help. I just want to be certain I'm responding the correct way.

FlyingRon

The big issue that law schools want to know about is moral issues that would preclude you from being eligible for the bar after you blow 3-4 years in their program getting your law degree.
I believe your dismissed charge will NOT count against you for the purpose of the bar, and should not count against you for applying to law school.

jackson10

Thank you for your advice. My concern is not so much that it will affect me- I'm sure there are tons of lawyers with DUI's on their records--but more so whether or not I need to include all of the details, namely the arrest warrant. I guess uncertain as to how big of a deal an issued warrant is.

TigerD

Thank you for your advice. My concern is not so much that it will affect me- I'm sure there are tons of lawyers with DUI's on their records--but more so whether or not I need to include all of the details, namely the arrest warrant. I guess uncertain as to how big of a deal an issued warrant is.
You will need to disclose it to the law school. Get or save all of the relevant information. I am filling out my character and fitness now and I have to provide documents from a traffic accident I was in in 1987 that resulted in 6 months probation (I hit a tree doing 95 in a 30). Keep your records. It is easier than trying to recollect them.

DC

garrula lingua

I would disclose all, with an explanation.
Penalty for a Class C is only to $500 & no jail
However, I would disclose any & all incidents, with an explanation.

Debt collector: best of luck! You'll be a fine lawyer. Congratulations!

You Are Guilty

To echo the same theme here, no one has ever been chastised for including "too much" in their C&F history. Can't say the same for those who elected to go the opposite route.

And if a DUI precluded admission to practice law, I would think the population of practicing lawyers would drop by a good third overnight. Hmm...

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">