• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Arrested on vacation in AZ for fake id, live in WI - Mandatory Court

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

tempeaz

Hello everyone. I am currently in Tempe, Arizona on vacation. Two nights ago I was arrested for using a fake ID. I have a mandatory court date in a few weeks, but I will be in Milwaukee, Wisconsin- my home town and where I attend University.
The police department was of very, very little help explaining the situation and what I am supposed to do about it. There is no way I can make it out to Arizona again for court due to money issues, and missing my exams. I am very confused as to the situation I am in, and as to what I am supposed to do at this point.
I wrote a letter to the police department and brought it in this morning to see if getting my court date changed to today, tomorrow or Wednesday before I go back to Wisconsin- they made a copy of it and basically told me to leave because there's nothing I can do.
A warrant will be out for my arrest if I do not attend the court date, but I just cannot attend it due to the situation I am in before I decided to go on a vacation. Any information on the subject would be GREATLY appreciated. Thank you in advance.

justalayman

A warrant will be out for my arrest if I do not attend the court date, but I just cannot attend it due to the situation I am in before I decided to go on a vacation
Not understanding your question. You already know they will issue a warrant for your arrest if you fail to show up. Once they do that, if Arizona is willing to extradite, plan on being arrested anytime you come into contact with a cop in Wisconsin where they would be made aware of your name.

The cops have nothing to do with the court issues. You have to deal with the courts for that.

I suggest you move heaven and Earth doing what it takes to get back there to attend court. It will only make things worse, much worse, if you dodge your court appearance.

swalsh411

Don't even consider missing your court date. Beg or borrow if you have to. Get a credit card if you don't have the cash. It will much much worse for you if you don't make it.

arsenic

Hire a local (Tempe) lawyer to appear on your behalf. The great likelihood is that you will be pleading/judged guilty anyways, but you need a local representative to arrange the court dates, best way to handle community service, out-of-state probation, etc.

It will cost money, and you may have to hit your parents/uncles for the cash. But, skipping out on a court date will be much, much worse, esp. if you are planning on a white-collar career.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">