• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

arresting officer made mistake

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

sabbathterror

i went to court today for my promise to appear on DUI charges, and when i got there i was not on any of the court lists.I then went to ask why they looked my name up and all that came up was a charge from when i was younger in my teens , soo i asked what should i do, the lady says .. contact your arresting officer. Yea right like im going to that if they made mistake its thier fault , so im just wondering if my case is thrown out now, or happens now? need answers

grndslm

I am by no means an expert, and I have had no interest in law up until the past week when I was arrested for public intoxication.

I would guess, however, that if the charge isn't in the system... you prolly don't have anything to worry about. If months have passed since you were arrested, and the courts still don't know anything about it... I don't see the need in talking to the officer.

It would certainly suck if the cop stumbled upon the paperwork later and then tried to set up another court date for you, but I just don't see how that's possible.

Once again... I am by no means an expert or anything remotely similar to a lawyer.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
It is VERY possible if the SOL hasn't run. OP hiding from this is NOT the smart thing to do or you may find yourself with a warrant in the future or other problems.

>Charlotte<

Lurker
OG is right. Regardless of whose mistake it was, it's your problem. Allowing it to go unchecked could end up being a much bigger problem that will take a lot more than just a couple of phone calls to fix.

Do whatever is necessary to confirm you're in the clear. Otherwise, you may have to try to explain that it was a mistake when you appear in court after being arrested.

grndslm

Is there anyway he can check what happened without talking to the officer? It doesn't seem too smart to ask him why he didn't properly file papers that will convict the OP...

I'd check the court every week for a year (or however long the SOL can last) until my name came up or enough time had passed for me to know that I was in the clear. I wouldn't talk to the officer, tho... but that's just me.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
So, other than Bay, please let us know what State y'all are basing your responses on... :rolleyes:

>Charlotte<

Lurker
I based my response on my opinion that OP ultimately needs to make sure the case was "thrown out" or that he's otherwise in the clear, and should not assume he's not supposed to appear in court somewhere, sometime. I would expect that to be a bad idea in any state.

Zigner

I based my response on my opinion that OP ultimately needs to make sure the case was "thrown out" or that he's otherwise in the clear, and should not assume he's not supposed to appear in court somewhere, sometime. I would expect that to be a bad idea in any state.
The point is that our OP didn't even BOTHER telling us what state he is in...much less whether he's even in this COUNTRY! Please don't encourage irresponsible posting.

>Charlotte<

Lurker
Oh! Sorry. My fault. I thought you were asking me which state my response was based upon. If I had known you were asking me not to encourage posters who don't reveal their state, I would have simply said "okay."

Psych

If you can afford one, get an attorney, tell him/her the deal. He/she can discreetly check things out for you.

paguy88

The point is that our OP didn't even BOTHER telling us what state he is in...much less whether he's even in this COUNTRY! Please don't encourage irresponsible posting.

you said this country?

what country are you in?
you never said in the thread...

haha sorry i could not pass that up..

:p

Zigner

you said this country?

what country are you in?
you never said in the thread...

haha sorry i could not pass that up..

:p
THIS country would be the United States - where THIS forum is based on. Those that needed to understand did.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">