• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Attn: Police officers. Do you think the DUI laws are too tough? Now be honest here.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Two Bit

I think the standards are fine.

I prefered Georgia's older system of presumptions that existed prior to the mandate to go to the .08 level. In it a person below .05 was presumed sober, there was no presumption between .05 and .08, over .08 was presumed under the influence, and over .10 was per se under the influence. I thought that standard was fine, and I did charge people at below the per se level. My first and only jury trial on a DUI was a .08.

I think the punishments for DUI are far too lax.

As for drinking cops, I would arrest a cop for driving DUI. I've never stopped a cop that I suspected of being DUI. I don't think that most cops drive DUI, although there are some that we've suspected.

As for drinking and driving, from time-to-time, I have had a couple of drinks and driven. However, at my wieght, I can have several, and never reach .05. I've taken alco sensors to enough parties to know that if I have less than five normal sized drinks over the course of an evening, I'll still be bleow .05.

craigblitz

I agree any impariment while driving people should go to jail for 4 months like in AZ.. Has anyome confirmed this.

Forms of impariment:

- Talking on the cell phone
- Listening to the Radio
- Watching TV
- Talking to a passanger

It just seems to me that the DUI law has become so political for judges and and a money maker for Stattes and Cities that it has become a witch hunt. If it is about saftey and protecting people, why do more cities not offer late night transpertation like buses or keep caps open etc.

Please do not think I condone Drunk Driving.. I don't at all, but it is a political darling for judges to say I am tough on DUI crimes, etc. There is still a HUGE diffence in blowing over a .08 and being impared. I know people can have 2 beers and no way in hell I would get in a car with them, and I know pwoplw who can have 8 beers and I would not worry in the slightest. I think the system needs to become better then taking the easy way out and throwing around a silly .08 number and using that as a standard.

Also, if the laws were honestly there to protect the people the forms of imparment up above would not be considered a joke but there are too many people who use cell phones etc and how dare they take that right away from me.

CdwJava

craigblitz said:
Forms of impariment:

- Talking on the cell phone
- Listening to the Radio
- Watching TV
- Talking to a passanger
These are NOT "impairments" - they are distractions. They last for the duration of the distraction, and they tend to be citable offenses. This is UNLIKE alcohol or drug impairment which cannot be "turned off" by putting one's eyes back on the road.

It just seems to me that the DUI law has become so political for judges and and a money maker for Stattes and Cities that it has become a witch hunt.
Money maker?!? :rolleyes: In my state it sure as heck doesn't make the cities any money! At best, we can recoup our losses after conviction ... IF the defendant has the means to pay for the cost recovery, and IF the local government has established a cost recovery system.

If it is about saftey and protecting people, why do more cities not offer late night transpertation like buses or keep caps open etc.
Most every city I know HAS busses and cabs running in to the night. I live in a small county and town and we have busses until about 11 PM. After that, you're on your own. But, if someone wants to call a cab, they can certainly do that. Why should the government pay for something that (statistically) most impaired subjects avoid using anyway?

There is still a HUGE diffence in blowing over a .08 and being impared.
There is? At .08 you ARE impaired. There is no "if" about it!

I know people can have 2 beers and no way in hell I would get in a car with them, and I know pwoplw who can have 8 beers and I would not worry in the slightest.
You should.

BAC is "blood alcohol content". A person's outward appearance of impairment is NOT necessarily a reflection of the actual impairment caused by the alcohol. No matter how they look on the outside, the alcohol (a central nervous system depressant) has an effect on the body's ability to function and to react.

I think the system needs to become better then taking the easy way out and throwing around a silly .08 number and using that as a standard.
I agree. Since the visible signs of impairment can be visibly seen as low as .04, and the physical effects manifest themselves as low as .02, I'm for dropping to either of those levels.

Also, if the laws were honestly there to protect the people the forms of imparment up above would not be considered a joke but there are too many people who use cell phones etc and how dare they take that right away from me.
Driving distracted is already against the law in my state. But, as I mentioned, unlike DUI impairment, the distraction ends.

- Carl

craigblitz

These are NOT "impairments" - they are distractions. They last for the duration of the distraction, and they tend to be citable offenses. This is UNLIKE alcohol or drug impairment which cannot be "turned off" by putting one's eyes back on the road.
Good point and I agree these are distractions no impairments, but I have not looked up the stats so there is base for this but I am willing to bet as many if not more accidents are caused by people on cell phones and other "distractions" then DUI's. I know my little cousing can thank a "MAAD" mother (as posted on her bumper) for running a red light and causing an accident that he will have to walk with a cane for the rest of his life.

Money maker?!? In my state it sure as heck doesn't make the cities any money! At best, we can recoup our losses after conviction ... IF the defendant has the means to pay for the cost recovery, and IF the local government has established a cost recovery system.
I will find the link that will back my statement on this in some states we are talking upward in the millions. I will repost when I find it.

Most every city I know HAS busses and cabs running in to the night. I live in a small county and town and we have busses until about 11 PM. After that, you're on your own. But, if someone wants to call a cab, they can certainly do that. Why should the government pay for something that (statistically) most impaired subjects avoid using anyway?
I have never seen that stas that most impared subjects won't use so I can not comment. Personal experince tells me that if available transpertation was convinent and availbale it would be used. I live in Pittsburgh and work in Scottsdale Arizona during the week and I promise you that there are no buses out when the bars close. Also most of the cabs do not work past 10. Places like Chicago and New York City there are no problems finding rides but in most cities that I have lived/work it is not the case.

There is? At .08 you ARE impaired. There is no "if" about it!
We will agree to disagree here. It is an easy way to blanket impairment. I will asusme that you have seen people that were totally unable to drive with a .08 and I am sure they have been people that you reasonable though were safe to get home at .08.

BAC is "blood alcohol content". A person's outward appearance of impairment is NOT necessarily a reflection of the actual impairment caused by the alcohol. No matter how they look on the outside, the alcohol (a central nervous system depressant) has an effect on the body's ability to function and to react.
Agreed but outward apperance does count for something. Since it is part of the CNS certain functions and motor skills will be affected and the FST should be able to determine that. Again, it should be a collection of evidence that determines impairment. FST's are not created to determine if the driver is sober, they are there to build evidence. A person can ace their FST's but with the light and eye test a cop can say he has just cause (funny how that is not recorded where you can see the results) to order a breath test.

I agree. Since the visible signs of impairment can be visibly seen as low as .04, and the physical effects manifest themselves as low as .02, I'm for dropping to either of those levels.
If there is evidence the person is impared at the .02 level I am all for it as well. But again a magic number can not determine that.

Driving distracted is already against the law in my state. But, as I mentioned, unlike DUI impairment, the distraction ends.
That is great but why not have the same punishments that a DUI has? Political that is why. Who cares when the distraction ends... it could be during that time when it is occuring that it is at its most deadly, but you do not have check points, and the hunt that you have with DUI's because of the politics behind it.

Again back and fourth we can go all day. I think we both agree that driving while impaired is a stupid thing to do, period. Where I disagree is that the law has become not to help protect individuals but in cases of DUI it is to prosecute and that is where my problem lies.

BTW great points and good discussion!

CdwJava

craigblitz said:
I am willing to bet as many if not more accidents are caused by people on cell phones and other "distractions" then DUI's.
I'd take that bet. In the 12 years I have been working with Municipal PDs (my 2 years with a Sheriff's Department didn't count because we did not take collision reports) and in the 500-odd collision reports I have taken, I cannot recall one where a cell phone was a cause for the distraction. They might be involved in dangerous actions like running lights or rolling stop signs, but they do not appear to be involved in all that many reported collisions.

As for other distractions, I can recall a couple of radio changing incidents, a guy getting a little "action" from his passenger, and even bouncing dogs and yelling kids, but not enough to even recall the last time I had one.

The most common primary collision factor is "unsafe speed."

I know my little cousing can thank a "MAAD" mother (as posted on her bumper) for running a red light and causing an accident that he will have to walk with a cane for the rest of his life.
Okay ... and we have dope dealers with DARE stickers on their car. And, I presume you meant to refer to "MADD".

I will find the link that will back my statement on this in some states we are talking upward in the millions. I will repost when I find it.
Okay. Like I said, I don't know how it is in other states. And I would wager to guess that your site does not have the costs related to DUIs. Costs for enforcement, for loss of productivity, injury, damage, loss of life, etc. The fines paid are minimal compared to all that.

And still, even if the fines WERE Draconian, people still drive impaired ... that doesn't make a whole lot of sense. Personally, I don't care HOW much the DUI driver has to pay. Since we arrest the same people for DUI all the flippin' time, whatever we're doing certainly is not harsh enough.

I have never seen that stas that most impared subjects won't use so I can not comment.
When given the option of driving themself or taking public transportation, the impaired subject will almost always opt to drive themself. One of the effects of alcohol is self-delusion ... "I'm fine!" Even friends have a difficult time getting sloshed pals to ride with them as opposed to driving.

If no public transportation is available, the designated driver concept is a good one. And to use the lack of public transportation as an excuse for drunk driving would be obscene (I know you aren't advocating that as an excuse ... at least I HOPE not). There is no "right" to go out drinking.

We will agree to disagree here. It is an easy way to blanket impairment. I will asusme that you have seen people that were totally unable to drive with a .08 and I am sure they have been people that you reasonable though were safe to get home at .08.
It's a medical fact - not just my opinion. So you can disagree all you want, but, sadly, you'd be wrong.

Once again the outward, objective signs of impairment are not always apprent to the casual observer. One can be impaired and not be slurring their speech, stumbling, or falling drown. But there is no way that you can overcome the effects of the CNS depressant on the system ... it DOES impair motor skills ... it DOES impair reaction and response time ... and it DOES impair perceptions.

Agreed but outward apperance does count for something. Since it is part of the CNS certain functions and motor skills will be affected and the FST should be able to determine that.
The standardized FSTs are designed to do just that - to look beyond the outward appearances. Since some chronic alcoholics can function just fine (on the outside) at even .20, and many career military people can do some of the FSTs just fine at the same BAC, the standardized FSTs are designed to mesh together to look at a bigger picture and for other clues than the obvious wobble and stumble.

Again, it should be a collection of evidence that determines impairment.
It is. And if you are .08 or higher, it's a medical fact.

FST's are not created to determine if the driver is sober, they are there to build evidence.
And to determine if the driver is impaired. I have done FSTs and found drivers victim of everything from a bad drug interaction to strokes and diabetic seizures.

A person can ace their FST's but with the light and eye test a cop can say he has just cause (funny how that is not recorded where you can see the results) to order a breath test.
You're oversimplifying the "light and eye" test. If done correctly, it (the Nystagmus test) is the single most accurate determinant of all the tests. If I had to do only ONE of the tests, it would be the HGN/VGN test. Taken in conjunction with he others, the battery has an astronomical accuracy rate.

If there is evidence the person is impared at the .02 level I am all for it as well. But again a magic number can not determine that.
But medical science has.

That is great but why not have the same punishments that a DUI has?
Because they are not (yet) the demonstrable threat to driving, that's why. And the distraction is not the same as an impairment.

Where I disagree is that the law has become not to help protect individuals but in cases of DUI it is to prosecute and that is where my problem lies.
The law is NOT about helping individuals, it is about protecting individuals and society from the ravages of a few misguided or plainly eveil people.

In my state most DUIs are subject to fines and counseling the first time around. The goal is to help the driver. Unfortunately, it seems that the majority of DUI drivers don't WANT that help. Either that, or they opt to ignore it because they come back again and again.

- Carl

Last edited:
B

betterthanher

shawnintennesse said:
In Arizona you better especially get an attorney.
New law in Arizona. First offence DUI is an automatic 4 months in prison. As it should be.:)
"As it should be?!" Ok Mr. Goody-Goody. Gimme a break. :rolleyes:

While I don't object to stricter drunken-driving laws, this is a little much. Obviously that was the work of over-zealous lawmakers in that state. Some of those lawmakers who were behind this will probably be the ones who'll get busted from leaving that holiday party.

There's a problem just as bad, if not worse, then drunk driving. It's people talking on their freaking cell phones!! Where I live, there is a city which was the first city in the US to ban driving while talking on your cell phone, unless you're using hands-free devices. States need to start cracking down on this, big time. It's not the drunk driver you need to worry about anymore. It's the people gabbing and not paying attention. Pull up the stats on accidents that occured because the driver was on their cell. It's quickly catching up -- if not already in some areas -- to drunk driving.

Last edited:

marcellus91872

Cell phone drivers have been compaired to .08, .09, and .10 BAC!There has been studies as well that show it can take minutes to recover from the distraction of the phone call-one quoted 15 minutes but I am skeptical on that one-.
THIS FIRST ONE IS A COMPELLING STUDY -Drivers in the alcohol condition exhibited a more aggressive driving style, in which they followed closer, necessitating braking with greater force. With respect to traffic safety, our data are consistent with Redelmeier and Tibshirani’s (1997) earlier estimates. In fact, when controlling for driving difficulty and time on task, cell-phone drivers may actually exhibit greater impairments (i.e., more accidents and less responsive driving behavior) than legally intoxicated drivers. These data also call into question driving regulations that prohibit
hand-held cell-phones and permit hands-free cell-phones, because no significant differences were found in the impairments to driving caused by these two modes of cellular communication.
http://www.psych.utah.edu/AppliedCognitionLab/DrivingAssessment2003.pdf

Researchers for the Virginia Tech Transportation Institute and the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) tracked 100 cars and their drivers for a year and concluded that talking on cell phones caused far more crashes, near-crashes and other incidents than other distractions.
http://www.iii.org/media/hottopics/insurance/cellphones/

DOES THIS DEFINE PUBLIC CONCERN OR CASH COW?
Friday, October 07, 2005
Illinois Communities Using DUI to Pay the Bills
Hoffman Estates, Illinois is joining surrounding communities in turning to drunk driving laws to fund local spending projects. Village Manager Jim Norris is proposing a new $500 fee that would apply to anyone arrested, but not convicted, for driving under the influence (DUI). The village of 50,000 residents generates between 300 and 500 arrests for driving under the influence each year, meaning the new fee combined with a $100 bonus the state sends for each arrest would generate up to $300,000 in revenue. Those accused of DUI are given the opportunity to request an independent review by the village police chief. Norris introduced the surcharge proposal as part of a package of possible tax and fee increases to fund a new police station, a fire station and other projects within the village. Nearby Arlington Heights, Buffalo Grove, Hanover Park and Rolling Meadows already impose the fee.
"There is? At .08 you ARE impaired. There is no "if" about it!"
In my previous post I added stats that clearly indicate that the .08 BAC has no significant impact on fatal crashes,with the quotes from the NHTSA to back my findings.No disrespect officers,but while your dealing with the .08 suspect,the real dangers are driving by with relief!

CdwJava

marcellus91872 said:
Cell phone drivers have been compaired to .08, .09, and .10 BAC!There has been studies as well that show it can take minutes to recover from the distraction of the phone call-one quoted 15 minutes but I am skeptical on that one-.
ANY distraction can equate to bad driving. Once again, the stats are just not there to support the claim that at least an equal number of collisions are caused by drivers distracted by cell phones or some such device. As i said, in my experience it has been zero.

I don't have a problem with restricting or banning cell phone chatting while driving. When it happens, we'll enforce it. Until then, it's perfectly legal and there is no compelling traffic collision data to equate it as anywhere near the danger of DUI.

Researchers for the Virginia Tech Transportation Institute and the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) tracked 100 cars and their drivers for a year and concluded that talking on cell phones caused far more crashes, near-crashes and other incidents than other distractions.
Note the word, "distractions" ... NOT when compared to other causes of collisions - not even when compared to DUI.

Hoffman Estates, Illinois is joining surrounding communities in turning to drunk driving laws to fund local spending projects. Village Manager Jim Norris is proposing a new $500 fee that would apply to anyone arrested, but not convicted, for driving under the influence (DUI).
Sounds like it can be challenged successfully in court. The bit about "not convicted" sounds odd to me.

Like I said, I can't speak for other states. But even in IL I suspect this is an abherration.

$100 bonus the state sends for each arrest
That would be nice! I wish we coul dget that back from the state out here! Though $100 wouldn't even cover our booking fees for a DUI driver ... then there is the cost of the officer's time, the chemical test, and the administrative time.

In my previous post I added stats that clearly indicate that the .08 BAC has no significant impact on fatal crashes,with the quotes from the NHTSA to back my findings.No disrespect officers,but while your dealing with the .08 suspect,the real dangers are driving by with relief!
I was not arguing number of collisions. YOU were saying that someone who is .08 or so is NOT necessarily impaired. We are saying that the medical data runs overwhelmingly contrary to that lay opinion.

- Carl

marcellus91872

I do wish all Law Enforcement Officers were of your caliber, I did notice the word "distractions", I used this as an example of the value of cell phones as opposed to other distractions.

CdwJava

marcellus91872 said:
I do wish all Law Enforcement Officers were of your caliber,
That's the second time I've heard that today.

Hopefully I never get tired of it. :D

- Carl

craigblitz

Wow I sesne you are getting hostile, not trying to do that but ok. You .08 intoxication as fact is very spotty at best and for you to say it is medically proven is not correct. The Ohio State University, Washington University and James Madison have studies showing that .08 limit in many individuals show little to no impairment. The studies were in JAM and I will find it online or scan the article. So I am sorry it is far from proven that .08 means imapirment. Also the state of Virgina has a ruling which agrees that .08 can not be used as the only measure of impairment.

CdwJava

craigblitz said:
Wow I sesne you are getting hostile, not trying to do that but ok.
Not hostile, just dumbfounded hat someone in today's world actually believes that a person with a .09 BAC might NOT be impaired.

You .08 intoxication as fact is very spotty at best and for you to say it is medically proven is not correct. The Ohio State University, Washington University and James Madison have studies showing that .08 limit in many individuals show little to no impairment.
There you go again with "SHOW" impairment. I concede that some people will NOT readily "show" impairment at high BACs. These tend to be serious alcoholics or people in the military. A deeper evaluation than simply observing the outward signs will almost certainly discover the clues to impairment.

Read the research. I can provide you links to studies if you'd like (however, most of my data is in written books and reports and I am not sure where this research is linked on the internet), but there are plenty of sites out there that discuss the effects of alcohol on the system.

The studies were in JAM and I will find it online or scan the article. So I am sorry it is far from proven that .08 means imapirment.
That will come as news to the medical community.

Also the state of Virgina has a ruling which agrees that .08 can not be used as the only measure of impairment.
I haven't heard that, but if you say so. But that's a legal determination and not a medical one.

In my state - and most the other 49 - being .08 or .10 is sufficient to legally establish impairment, and in the real world noticable impairment begins as low as .02 ... for some it WON'T be obvious, but it is there. Looks CAN be deceiving.

- Carl

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">