• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Auto insurance idea or fruitless?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

ginny2401

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Pennsylvania
DUI in July, charges withdrawn because state trooper dispatched overseas. Not sure if/when charges will be brought forward but concerned about my significant other's auto insurance rates soaring if and when the charges are brought. We're both on the same policy for 3 vehicles. Have been with the same insurance company for 15 years, no mishaps or violations. Was wondering if the title of one of the cars was changed to my name [they're all in his name], and then I got my own insurance policy for just that car from another company, got dropped from SO's policy altogether, if that would protect my SO and his insurance rates if the DUI goes forward? Or doesn't it really matter, we're dead in the water either way? Any advice appreciated, checked rates with a DUI and they will probably triple or we'll be dropped altogether.

lenny71

Sounds like a good plan.

You do not have to inform your insurance company of a dui, you just need to get an sr 22 (proof of insurance). The sr 22 can be from another insurance company. I have heard of people even keeping their current insurance and paying for the sr 22 from another company. They are gambling that their current provider will not run a check and they will still have a low cost insurance plan to fall back on after they no longer have to file the sr 22.

In your case, I would do exactly as you plan because the policy is tied to another driver. If you are off the policy it will not matter if they run a check.

sidenote: I don't understand the 'charges withdrawn' concept. Is the DA going to prosecute or not?

Jobbo

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Pennsylvania
DUI in July, charges withdrawn because state trooper dispatched overseas. Not sure if/when charges will be brought forward but concerned about my significant other's auto insurance rates soaring if and when the charges are brought. We're both on the same policy for 3 vehicles. Have been with the same insurance company for 15 years, no mishaps or violations. Was wondering if the title of one of the cars was changed to my name [they're all in his name], and then I got my own insurance policy for just that car from another company, got dropped from SO's policy altogether, if that would protect my SO and his insurance rates if the DUI goes forward? Or doesn't it really matter, we're dead in the water either way? Any advice appreciated, checked rates with a DUI and they will probably triple or we'll be dropped altogether.
Hopefully, the trooper will remain oversees until the statute of limitations runs. They have to have the trooper to move forward against you. I doubt you have a duty to inform your insurance agency if you're merely been arrested for a DUI (you are legally completely innocent), but your insurance policy might require that you do - I'd give it a read.

Other than that, I doubt anyone here is an insurance agent.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">