• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Background check with DWI.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

alexchalyy

I have recently been accepted into SUNY Buffalo Dental School in NY and just completed my background check. In 2006 I got a DWI in NY but with help of my lawyer it was reduced to reckless driving. I did not know that reckless driving was misdemeanor and didn't know that the DWI charge would show up on my background check even though I was never found guilty, but it did. I talked to an admission clerk and she has told me that it might affect my attendence and advised me to send an apology letter. I just sent it explaining that it was my fault that I didn't mention it on my background check or on admission application. I would like to know how serious is this. If it is serious what could I do to stay in school. Thank you very much and I would really appreciate any advice.

paguy88

I have recently been accepted into SUNY Buffalo Dental School in NY and just completed my background check. In 2006 I got a DWI in NY but with help of my lawyer it was reduced to reckless driving. I did not know that reckless driving was misdemeanor and didn't know that the DWI charge would show up on my background check even though I was never found guilty, but it did. I talked to an admission clerk and she has told me that it might affect my attendence and advised me to send an apology letter. I just sent it explaining that it was my fault that I didn't mention it on my background check or on admission application. I would like to know how serious is this. If it is serious what could I do to stay in school. Thank you very much and I would really appreciate any advice.
hard to say. Who knows how the dental school folks will look at it.

You can bet this is not the first time they have seen it. you wrote your letter now all you can do is wait and see what they said. That is the best you can do. IMO

charliechaplin1

If you do get caught in a lie, which i understand you never meant to do, in most cases your best bet would be just to explain the circumstance and try to place yourself in the best light possible.

Since you've already sent out a letter, there is a possibility that they would schedule an appointment with you to talk about that flag on your background check. If they do decide to take a more subtle action against their discovering, do take the initiative to schedule a talk with whoever is in charge to at least get a chance to redeem and explain yourself personally.

Good Luck

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">