• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

background check question

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

irish77

My company got bought out this past fall. They are requiring background checks. I had a DUI in 2000 and another in 2008. The first never shows up on anything & I have been with 5 companies since the first, but the 2nd I'm sure will show up. I have and will be up front and honest about anything. I can't remember if any other companies asked for my DL #, but this new company did and I got a little worried.

Does anyone think this could effect my transition to the new company?

Thanks in advance. As if this year has been challenging enough it would be even more so if I got laid off.

Irish

BigMistakeFl

Dl #

They don't need your DL number to find out about your DUI arrests; your SS # will suffice as to the arrest and conviction portion, which your company already has. The DUI would also show up on a driving record check if that's part of the background search.

irish77

PA. I had ARD for the first one. It didn't show up on a criminal background check I did on myself before I got this job.

BigMistakeFl

True

True, that your ARD helped you out on the search, and good move running a check on yourself so you know what's out there. I think it depends on how they perform background checks. I have friends who are landlords and they simply use a credit card and use one of the various online companies. However, a company I worked for in CA took it very seriously and hired an out of town private detective who had access to records I felt should have been off limits to anyone. He did deep checks into FBI and IRS records, plus more.

irish77

I hear that...

I am feeling better about it. This company works with every facet of the US Gov't and when they did a background check in mid-2007, they never found a thing, so I'm not gonna worry more than I already have been. I'm not a felon and didn't hit, kill or mame anyone. I wasn't even involved in an accident. If they want to lay me off for this DUI, well, go ahead and do it. I don't think they could do it at this point.

Just Blue

My company got bought out this past fall. They are requiring background checks. I had a DUI in 2000 and another in 2008. The first never shows up on anything & I have been with 5 companies since the first, but the 2nd I'm sure will show up. I have and will be up front and honest about anything. I can't remember if any other companies asked for my DL #, but this new company did and I got a little worried.

Does anyone think this could effect my transition to the new company?

Thanks in advance. As if this year has been challenging enough it would be even more so if I got laid off.

Irish
Depends. What kind of work do you do?

FlyingRon

It also depends on what state he is in.

WHY DO YOU THINK THE FORUM ADMINISTRATORS PUT THE QUESTION IN THAT SAYS ASKING FOR IT?

It also depends on what state he is in.

WHY DO YOU THINK THE FORUM ADMINISTRATORS PUT THE QUESTION IN THAT SAYS ASKING FOR IT?
Irish has 395 posts and counting... and almost all are EXCLUSIVELY about PA, ARD, living in PA... blah blah blah. Seems like by now people might know not to ask about his state. I know that you are also in Virgina FlyingRon without asking.

EDIT: He also answered that question 4 posts above yours. I believe the answer was "PA." Straight-forward, no?

Last edited:

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
Irish has 395 posts and counting... and almost all are EXCLUSIVELY about PA, ARD, living in PA... blah blah blah. Seems like by now people might know not to ask about his state. I know that you are also in Virgina FlyingRon without asking.
Irish also tends to insult people. But that doesn't mean that the rules change for him, me or you.

cyjeff

I will say that a repeated DUI offender shows a remarkable lack of judgement and will power that may bar you from employment on a government facility.

Also, if your first background check was before 911, they have changed significantly.

The problem may not be with a single incident, but the repetition.

On the plus side, you are saving so much money on mass transit that you could just work from home, no?

irish77

I will say that a repeated DUI offender shows a remarkable lack of judgement and will power that may bar you from employment on a government facility.

Also, if your first background check was before 911, they have changed significantly.

The problem may not be with a single incident, but the repetition.

On the plus side, you are saving so much money on mass transit that you could just work from home, no?
No, what I meant to say is that while we have work that's done @ gov't facilities, I am not one of those people. I am not a consultant. I could work from home. I'm not even worried about it. Five fortune 500 companies hired me post DUI-ARD. This one that I got in 2008 counts as a second for PA Sentencing Points. I think we've all read enough about how that works, so no need to re-hash. I take mass-transit to work.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">