• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Busted in wi with il dl (dui/underage)

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Andrei

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? WI
I just received a DUI in Wisconsin state (1st offense). My bac on the scene was .18. I am 20 years old and i'm not a citizen. i've got 2 tickets 346.63(1)(a) and 346.63(1)(b).
6 points and 726$ to pay on each... does my legal status will matter in court or not ? do i need a lawyer or not ? .. what i should expect ... i know i did stupid mistake and i think i'm done with alcohol at all!!! but... will i get hammered by IL state ? will they charge me or not ?

HomeGuru

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? WI
I just received a DUI in Wisconsin state (1st offense). My bac on the scene was .18. I am 20 years old and i'm not a citizen. i've got 2 tickets 346.63(1)(a) and 346.63(1)(b).
6 points and 726$ to pay on each... does my legal status will matter in court or not ? do i need a lawyer or not ? .. what i should expect ... i know i did stupid mistake and i think i'm done with alcohol at all!!! but... will i get hammered by IL state ? will they charge me or not ?
**A: yes, you need an attorney.

Andrei

thank you, but what about my other questions ? do u know any good attorneys in Madison (WI) which is not expensive ?:confused:

BigMistakeFl

You can also check with your state's Bar for a referral. Interview prospective lawyers, if you have time.

I'm curious if we asked defense attorneys "what percentage of DUI cases you've defended have resulted with a not guilty conclusion?", what sort of answer would we get? I'm not suggesting this is due to poor representation, just a clearer view of how futile fighting a DUI charge may be.

Andrei

thank all you guys... here is the letter from attorney (I hope it will help somebody in the future)::rolleyes:

>>Your IL DL may be an issue. If convicted of the DUI in WI, the IL department of transportation will likely revoke your license and you will have to follow IL rules to get your license back. This can be a difficult process. On the bright side, IL will not charge you with DUI in addition to the WI charge. IL has no power to charge you with any conduct that may have occurred in WI. You would have had to have been in IL for them to charge you with drunk driving. That said, a DUI conviction in WI will still affect your license. You could lose it.
>>The fine amount of the ticket does not necessarily mean that will be the fine in the case, if you are convicted. It could be higher or lower. There are a lot of variables that go into a DUI case and without more details
>>Whether or not you decide to hire me, it is CRITICAL that you request an administrative hearing in connection with the notice of intent to suspend your license that you probably received from the WI department of transportation. Requesting a hearing has a number of advantages. You only have 10 days from the receipt of the notice of intent to suspend to request the hearing. Request the hearing IMMEDIATELY!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">