• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

bypassing Ignition interlock

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

hotdog1

Hello everyone New York resident here. Second DWI offense. Your probably thinking I'm trying to bypass this interlock after it's installed in my car and I want to drive it drunk.. that's not what I'm after.

My lawyer has told me to either sell my car, or transfer registration to avoid having to get this device installed. My car is now registered and insured under my mom's name. When the court OR my probation officer (if I am ordered probation) orders me to get this ignition interlock device, what should I say? My lawyer said the device will be needed for any car that is registered to me or that I drive frequently. If I am able to get a conditional license my probation officer will know that I'm driving frequently and wondering why I don't have this interlock.

Is this something that is ordered from the DMV or the probation officer? Has anyone avoided this by not having the car registered to them?

PS. This is my second offense in 5 years which means it's felony dwi. I plan to fully comply with everything. What are the chances I will be ordered to probation after I complete AA, community service and pay all my fines?

cyjeff

If you fully intend to comply, why would you want to bypass this very understandable restriction?

FlyingRon

Most likely your license will be given on the condition that any vehicle you drive has the interlock. If you don't install the interlock, you're breaking the law (and the conditions of your probation) by driving.

lenny71

When you apply for the conditional license your PO will want to know what vehicle you intend to drive. The only way I see you getting around this is if you do not get a license. If you are caught driving without a license you can expect jail time as judges take this very seriously.

swrdmbo

AA is not something you "complete". If this is how you see it I see more problems ahead for you.

You are really asking for trouble trying to find a way around this interlock device.

The first time you get pulled over driving any car without it you are going to be facing a much worse situation than you are now.

Mrlogger

New DWI Laws passed in NY

With the passage of Leandra's Law on Nov 18, 2009 it now requires Interlocks to be mandatory on any vehicle you own or have access to so if you are getting your Conditional License then it will be mandatory for you to have an Igniton Interlock Device installed on any vehicle you will be driving or have access to. Getting caught driving without IID will result in mandatory jail time per the new law.

hotdog1

My lawyer says most likely I will get off probation early if everything goes good, which it will. Once I get off probation and pass the time without having a license say 2 years or so, will the court require me to get the interlock installed when I get my license back, 2 years from now?

Isis1

My lawyer says most likely I will get off probation early if everything goes good, which it will. Once I get off probation and pass the time without having a license say 2 years or so, will the court require me to get the interlock installed when I get my license back, 2 years from now?
as long as you fullfill the terms of your probation until the end, then you are in the clear. you will not be required to keep the interlock past your probation.

i strongly recommend you getting your car back in your name, getting the interlock installed in your car, don't drive ANYONE'S car but your own, stop drinking completely, and stay out of trouble.

hotdog1

as long as you fullfill the terms of your probation until the end, then you are in the clear. you will not be required to keep the interlock past your probation.

i strongly recommend you getting your car back in your name, getting the interlock installed in your car, don't drive ANYONE'S car but your own, stop drinking completely, and stay out of trouble.

I think some people may have misinterpreted my post and thought I was trying to bypass it to drink and drive again, or complete AA only to keep drinking. This is not the case. There is no way I'm ever drinking and driving again. I just bought a house and paid my entire tax credit for a lawyer. For the guy who thinks he sees more "more problems ahead" you are wrong and can't see anything because you don't know me from reading one of my posts.

TinkerBelleLuvr

if you are wanting a conditional license, the judge/ po/ person in charge has the RIGHT to know that you have the ignition thingy in place. See, if you don't have a need to drive, then why get a conditional license.

If you break the law by not having the ignition thingy on the car you are driving, then you violate your probation.

So, you either have the ignition thingy put on the car you plan on driving, or just giving up driving for the next two years.

Isis1

I think some people may have misinterpreted my post and thought I was trying to bypass it to drink and drive again, or complete AA only to keep drinking. This is not the case. There is no way I'm ever drinking and driving again. I just bought a house and paid my entire tax credit for a lawyer. For the guy who thinks he sees more "more problems ahead" you are wrong and can't see anything because you don't know me from reading one of my posts.
ethically, no one here will help you bypass laws. we just won't do it.

we don't care WHY you want to bypass the laws. even if to just escape the interlock fee. it won't happen here.

you have two options.

take the driver's license suspension, do not get behind the wheel of your vehicle or ANYONE else's vehicle for the entire length of your probation.

OR

get the interlock on YOUR car, ONLY drive your car, for the entire length of your probation.

hotdog1

Thanks for the help. If the only trouble I've been in with the law is a past DWI offense what are the chances I will get probation? Would it help to present a letter to the judge and/or letters from my boss/coworkers demonstrating my work ethic and things like that?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">