• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

CA DUI with CA DL but live in TX. confused?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

meganmed

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? CA and TX

back in august i received a DUI in the state of california and was convicted in september. my drivers license was issued in the state of california even though i currently lived in texas (i had just moved the month before and hadnt changed my license to texas yet) and the police confiscated my CA drivers license.

my question is, 1) when i complete the DUI first offender classes in texas will i still have a suspended license because it wasnt completed in CA? and 2) can i go to the TX dmv now and get a drivers license by showing proof of residence and identity?

OHRoadwarrior

The suspension applies equally to your ability to legally obtain a TX DL, without lying on the application. If you lie and it is not caught, the license is not worth the paper it is printed on.

meganmed

right i understand that, mostly im just concerned with whether or not i have to complete a CA first offender program to be able to drive in texas. its impossible for me to fly to ca and do the 3 month program when i have a full time career in texas. and if thats the case then there really isnt any reason for me to spend all the money on a texas dui class when it wont count.

You likely had conditions on getting back your CA license placed by both the court and the CA DMV. Since you no longer live in CA, and you have a real job, it is prob. best to spend the money to hire a CA attorney to evaluate your options. My understanding is that the court will transfer class requirements out of state, *but* the DMV will not. So, completing DUI classes in Texas may satisfy the court, but you still won't get your license back. Even in the first instance, the CA court needs to approve the transfer.

I think there are convoluted ways around the CA DMV, but it may be cheaper to spend 3 months back in CA. Talk to a lawyer (in the county where you were convicted).

meganmed

i already went to court and the judge did authorize me to do my classes in texas but she also said it wouldnt satisfy CA dmv. so darn, the only option for me is to go to CA and do the class there then huh.. i looked into online DUI classes for out of state but since "technically" i am a resident of CA it isnt accepted. im just going to end up calling some people tomorrow and finding out what my options are.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">