• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

CA Wet Reckless for out of state driver

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

mlk

CA Wet Reckless for out of state driver - HELP!

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? CA

Washington resident and licensed driver. Arrested in CA while on vacation for DUI at sobriety checkpoint(refused test) in 2003. Pleaded no contest to Wet Reckless and paid all fines immediately. Court ordered no license suspension and no alcohol classes.

My privilege to drive in CA was suspended by CA DMV for 1 year for refusal. Got order of suspension notice in mail from CA DMV. Was told by lawyer, I didn't have to worry about responding to it, unless the WA DMV acted on the suspension. WA never did. Regardless, I did not drive for the entire year-long suspension period in CA or WA. I renewed my WA drivers license with no problems in 2004.

My CA suspension period is long since over, but I am worried I got bad advice from my lawyer. Can CA DMV make me surrender my WA drivers license to them? I didn't because I was told they had no jurisdiction over my WA license. Is this true? Have I screwed up? Since my CA suspension has past, do I need to do anything to reinstate my driving privileges in CA? (SR-22 & re-instatement fee? even though I don't live or drive in CA?)

I've never been in any other legal trouble before and I want to make sure I am not now. What should I do? Please give me some answers.

Thanks

Last edited:

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? CA

Washington resident and licensed driver. Arrested in CA while on vacation for DUI at sobriety checkpoint(refused test) in 2003. Pleaded no contest to Wet Reckless and paid all fines immediately. Court ordered no license suspension and no alcohol classes. My privilege to drive in CA was suspended by CA DMV for 1 year for refusal. Got order of suspension notice in mail from CA DMV. Was told by lawyer, I didn't have to worry about responding to it, unless the WA DMV acted on the suspension. WA never did. Regardless, I did not drive for the entire year-long suspension period in CA or WA. I renewed my WA drivers license with no problems in 2004.
My CA suspension period is long since over, but I am worried I got bad advice from my lawyer. Can CA DMV make me surrender my WA drivers license to them? I didn't because I was told they had no jurisdiction over my WA license. Is this true? Have I screwed up? Since my CA suspension has past, do I need to do anything to reinstate my driving privileges in CA? (SR-22 & re-instatement fee? even though I don't live or drive in CA?)
I've never been in any other legal trouble before and I want to make sure I am not now. What should I do? Please give me some answers. ThanksWhat is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?
What did the CA DMV say when you asked them?

CdwJava

Can CA DMV make me surrender my WA drivers license to them?
No, they cannot. They can only suspend your privelege to drive in CA. WA can honor the suspension, however.

Since my CA suspension has past, do I need to do anything to reinstate my driving privileges in CA? (SR-22 & re-instatement fee? even though I don't live or drive in CA?)
That's a good question ... I suspect you would have to,m but I don't know for sure. To avoid any potential problems down the road - and maybe with WA state - you might want to call the CA DMV and ask. Check their website at http://www.dmv.ca.gov as that should have contact info and some information for you.

- Carl

mlk

My WA drivers lisence is valid, so I can drive in WA. Can I drive in any other state's other than California?

You should call CA DMV and find out what you may have to do to get reinstated in Ca. You may just have to pay a small reinstatement fee.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">