• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Calif. DUI Probation - Transfer out of state?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

rkfrans

Hi,
A friend of mine has recently been sentenced 3 years probation (plus community service and counseling) for a DUI in the state of California. She is currently residing in a half-way house and I would like her to move to Massachusetts to live with me.

Does anyone know if probation can be "transferred" to another state and, if so, what is the correct course of action to take?

Thanks

BigMistakeFl

BigMistakeFl

I have been told that probation can be transferred, and also in some cases can be handled via the mail. But this is a question your friend must ask his / her probation officer. I would not take the advice lightly from hearsay, no matter how expert anyone appears here.

CdwJava

Your friend will need to talk with their probation officer. There are procedures to do this. And if she has had a good year with no violations, it is likely that she can get it trasnferred after a year (there are exceptions, but it usually takes at least a year of good behavior).

- Carl

CdwJava

pacificus said:
Would Carl or somebody know what is the procedure for transferring an unsupervised probation or a conditional revocable release?
The terms under the above say, report to the court within 10 days of change of address via mail. Does that allow change of address across the country?
The procedure begins with a phone call to the probation officer. That person can tell you what is necesary. An attorney is also a good choice ... but expensive.

- Carl

CdwJava

pacificus said:
The dilemma is that there is no Probation officer for an Unsupervised Probation or after a conditional revocable release. I believe it should be addressed with the court.
The court would have the ultimate say, but in my experience the court would still toss it back to the Probation department to evaluate the suitability of the transfer. If he has an attorney, then the attorney can bring it up before the court. Otherwise, the easiest avenue I can think of is to bring it up through Probation.

In the counties I have worked, even unsupervised and deferred judgement defendants are under the jurisdiction of the probation Department.

- Carl

BigMistakeFl

BigMistakeFl

I would still call the office where probation officers work. I've called and asked questions of the clerical staff before. That's a better way to get accurate information.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">