• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

California DUI Statute of Limitations

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Gmac

What is the name of your state? California

I was aressted in 1995 for DUI but left the state before trial. I'd like to know whether the statute of limitations for DUI has expired on that case in California. DUI charge only- no complications.

Thanks

seniorjudge

Gmac said:

I was aressted in 1995 for DUI but left the state before trial. I'd like to know whether the statute of limitations for DUI has expired on that case in California. DUI charge only- no complications.

Thanks
The statute of limitations stopped running the day you got arrested. (Edited to clarify the day the SOL stopped running.)

Last edited:

Some Random Guy

Statute of limitations is about the time from when the crime occurred until they charge you. They charged you right away so it doesn't apply.

Fleeing prosecution is a cause for additional charges, not relief from the existing ones.

Contact a lawyer in CA and see what you need to do to get this resolved. Don't expect anything less than answering to the original DUI charge.

justalayman

Gmac said:

Thanks
What SOL. You have already been charged, there is no SOL involved including for the warrant that is out there for your arrest.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">