• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can I convert Community Service to a fine?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

jontrresko

What is the name of your state? California

I have about 34 days of public work service left to do for a dui and driving under suspended, which happened over two years ago and 1 year ago. I've paid all of my fines and am enrolled in OHS.

I already requested an extension and failed to complete the first portion of 20 days by the Sept 1st deadline. I have been overwhelmingly busy with work and school and haven't been able to do much. Several days I did do, I didn't sign in, only having my own record of my attendance. If I didn't have my weekends to do school, I would not have been able to pass my classes. Taking the weekends for the work as it were, I fell behind to a point that I had to spend every waking moment catching up, barely finishing the work.

My work has paid off and now have the means to pay fines... whatever it takes.

Do you know if I can pay a fine instead of completing the community service?

A friend of mine converted a fine into service for $100 a day and then back to a fine...

It seems like fines are in large part what the system is about anyways, so wouldn't they love another excuse to take my hard earned money?

Thanks!

Last edited:

xylene

Ask your probation officer, your lawyer or the court where your where sentenced.

Anything we might say is just speculation.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">