• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can I get my license reinstated?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

tbc82

I was charged with a DUI a couple of years ago. I had the case reopened and subsequently all charges were dismissed. My question is can I get my CA drivers license reinstated without taking the DUI classes considering all my charges have been dropped. Any help is incredibly appreciated!
Thanks for your time and responses!
Thomas

justalayman

how did you get the charges dismissed?

is the suspension judicial (through the court) or administrative (through the DMV)?

tbc82

I hired a lawyer to remove it from my record as I am taking time off college to enter the military.

justalayman

I hired a lawyer to remove it from my record as I am taking time off college to enter the military.
that sounds more like either sealing your records or an expungement rather than a dismissal.

and so, is it an administrative or judicial suspension?

tbc82

I was convicted. M lawyer told me specifically that the case was "dismissed." It must be and administrative suspension, because according to the courts I have a spotless record. Thanks for all your help thus far!

ERAUPIKE

I was convicted. M lawyer told me specifically that the case was "dismissed." It must be and administrative suspension, because according to the courts I have a spotless record. Thanks for all your help thus far!
The case being dismissed and you being convicted are two different outcomes to a single situation.

What do you mean by "according to the courts?" If you were convicted of DUI, you have a DUI conviction on your record. :confused:

tbc82

I was originally convicted in late 2007. I never took DUI classes, just did community service. This never actually cleared up my DUI suspended license. I received a driving on a suspended license charge about a year ago and I hired a different lawyer to look at the case. He managed to get the whole case, DUI from 2007 included dismissed. So yes, a confusing situation but I was convicted and subsequently had the charges dismissed.

I_Got_Banned

I was originally convicted in late 2007. I never took DUI classes, just did community service. This never actually cleared up my DUI suspended license. I received a driving on a suspended license charge about a year ago and I hired a different lawyer to look at the case. He managed to get the whole case, DUI from 2007 included dismissed. So yes, a confusing situation but I was convicted and subsequently had the charges dismissed.
You need to go back to lawyer #2 and talk to him... None of what you're posting is making any sense whatsoever!

Edited to Add: unless you want a guess for an answer, then here is one. Even if the court would have dismissed the charge which you were already convicted on, that may not satisfy the DMV's requirements to get your license reinstated. So you'll have to check with the DMV as to what requirements are still pending before they reinstate your license!

Last edited:

asiny

You need to go back to lawyer #2 and talk to him... None of what you're posting is making any sense whatsoever!

Edited to Add: unless you want a guess for an answer, then here is one. Even if the court would have dismissed the charge which you were already convicted on, that may not satisfy the DMV's requirements to get your license reinstated. So you'll have to check with the DMV as to what requirements are still pending before they reinstate your license!
In addition to the above - you would need to show proof that the court has overturned and dismissed your conviction to the DMV. Whether CA DMV accepts this is an internal matter - have you contacted the CA DMV to ask them?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">