• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

can I hire a public defender in california if i live in new york

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

rockfish47

I got a DUI in California on Oct. 1, 2008, my court appearance was on Nov. 12, 2008. When I had got to court they could not find any record of my DUI. At the time I was in the military stationed out in San Diego. When my base had heard of the incident they had discharged me and sent me home to New York. On Mar. 10, 2009 I received a letter from the City Attorney saying that I had to appear in court on Mar. 20, 2009. There is no way I can afford to go to San Diego, and definitely no way I can afford an attorney. What can I do? Is it possible to hire a public defender or maybe try legal aid? I’m in a stuck position……PLEASE HELP

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
If you do not attend the hearing, you will most likely end up with a warrant out for your arrest. You need to find some way of attending. Or HIRE counsel to represent you at the hearing.

CdwJava

That hearing should be the arraignment. You would not qualify for a public defender until one is appointed at that time. You will have to either appear in person or contact an attorney to appear on your behalf as Ohiogal suggested.

Here is a link to the PD's office in San Diego (copy and paste the verbage between the "url" tags):

http://www.sdcounty.ca.gov/public_defender/index.html

- Carl

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">