• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can I be a non-lawyer pro se for my wife in a DWI case?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Silverplum

She would have to do that but I thought I could be just like those legal assistants who scribble on pads in court giving suggestions and actual lines of questioning to the attorney who then says them aloud? Couldn't I act as a legal assistant to my wife acting pro se?
No.
And I see no evidence whatsoever of your wife's interest in repping herself. None.

govtdog said:
Congrats. That is our goal as well and my wife's mess up has put that somewhat in jeopardy.
Nah. They can succeed or fail on their own. A good part of that is learning how to do so.

govtdog said:
In our state, we have to put all members of the legal dependent family on our insurance when they get their license. Allstate put my son on it when he turned 16 even though we was almost 18 when he finally got his license to drive. We were able to get him off but even if he didn't ever get his license, they said he MUST go on our insurance when he turns 18. It doesn't matter if we had 4 drivers and only one car... the insurance companies assume every eligible person CAN drive the car and charge accordingly.
Dump them, find a new one that WORKS FOR you.

govtdog said:
When I had my career for 25 years, I always had company cars but even then my job required me to carry an Umbrella liability policy which wasn't cheap. Now, as long as I am married to my wife, I can pretty much forget ever getting back into my old industry and those good jobs.
You blame your wife a lot.

Where IS she, by the way? Lying on the couch, eating bon-bons?

govtdog said:
Based on alot of the non-helpful-responses I've been getting, so does a lot of stuff usually found in diapers. ;)

Not quite sure if you meant to end that sentence with a "b", or just made a semi-funny yet sexually charged racist joke? Oops, nevermind... googled Squaw Sandwich and saw there is something actually called Squaw bread... being a Cali thing, never heard of it. :eek:
Still can't help picturing a Squaw Sandwich as I first misunderstood it. :D
:rolleyes:

govtdog

You blame your wife a lot.
Absolutely I blame her for this mess. She was the one who drank and drove... not me, and not our kids.. yet we will suffer because of her actions. IMO, she deserves all the blame we can heap on her up to a point.
Where IS she, by the way? Lying on the couch, eating bon-bons?
:rolleyes:
Doh! Seems like that's what we're doing. Doesn't the chocolate on your fingers stain your keyboard?:p
My wife is at work(7a to 6p M-F), paying our bills by working hard, saving people just like you, your friends and your loved ones from sure death. When patients get referred to her, they come with their families, completed wills and funeral arrangements already made. This week she will be also working on Sat and Sunday at a medical conference. She is dedicated to her job and her patients and leaves the other stuff to me to do.
If I wasn't so peeved at her about her recent stupidity, I'd buy her the bon-bons she deserves.

Last edited:

Antigone*

Absolutely I blame her for this mess. She was the one who drank and drove... not me, and not our kids.. yet we will suffer because of her actions. IMO, she deserves all the blame we can heap on her up to a point.
Doh! Seems like that's what we're doing. Doesn't the chocolate on your fingers stain your keyboard?:p
My wife is at work(7a to 6p M-F), paying our bills by working hard, saving people just like you, your friends and your loved ones from sure death. When patients get referred to her, they come with their families, completed wills and funeral arrangements already made. This week she will be also working on Sat and Sunday at a medical conference. She is dedicated to her job and her patients and leaves the other stuff to me to do.
If I wasn't so peeved at her about her recent stupidity, I'd buy her the bon-bons she deserves.
Dog, why buy her bon bons when you're calling it quits. Buy her the pen to sign the divorce papers with.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
QUIT. Your wife is not a hero, a saint or anyone to canonize. What she is is a drunk who could have killed herself or an actual innocent (which she is NOT) and is now having you whine about how unfair life is because the drunkard got caught and there are consequences she doesn't want to face. She doesn't deserve anything except some time in a drunk tank, alcohol classes and going without her driver's license for several months. Maybe if you weren't making excuses for her on the one hand and holding her up as the LIVING Mother Theresa with the other, she would grow up, quit being a petulant spoiled pathetic individual and take her lumps -- which is what she deserves.

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
So true... and something I throw in her face every day along with how she has ruined what we had left of a once good life.
While this particular situation was her fault, I suspect being married to you has been no bed of roses for her, either.

So much for "For Better or Worse..."

NellieBly

The fact that you refer to this as "my wife's screw up" indicates you think she is guilty.

All the more reason to hire a lawyer.

By the way, my family was left without a car because ours was totaled by a drunk driver. We just took the bus and walked. We were lucky. A passenger in the other car was killed. Killed!

One more thing....if you are a government employee (even retired) and have a working wife, why don't you have enough assets to at least hire an attorney?

LadyMac

Question

Have you asked to have counsel appointed by the public defender?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">