• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can I be a non-lawyer pro se for my wife in a DWI case?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

govtdog

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Texas

If so, what do I need to do to represent her at her first non-continued hearing in this case?

We are meeting with attorneys but want to have some discovery in the case which will not occur until after her next criminal date hearing?

I'd guess the next and essentially first hearing will have to do with her just saying her plea and then who knows?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney

If so, what do I need to do to represent her at her first non-continued hearing in this case?

We are meeting with attorneys but want to have some discovery in the case which will not occur until after her next criminal date hearing?

I'd guess the next and essentially first hearing will have to do with her just saying her plea and then who knows?
You are not able to represent your wife in court.

ETA: I'm pretty darn sure we told you that your actions constituted the unlawful practice of law...and that was just because you were filling out her forms!

Antigone*

Dog, we told you yesterday that representing your wife would not be possible.

govtdog

Thanks but no one followed up on my other questions... so I wondered?

Can I stand next to just advise her what to ask and answer in court at the criminal and ALR hearings?

CdwJava

Chances are you will NOT be permitted to stand next to her. If you do, and keep whispering to her, yu can expect the court to ask you to leave or to (possibly) censure you and her in some way.

Either SHE acts pro se, or she hires an attorney. If she cannot afford one, the court will appoint one for her. But YOU cannot act on her behalf or advise her.

govtdog

First, I am NO ONE'S DOG.... you can call me John or Mr Mo or Sir... but certainly NOT freakin dog.
Then again, if a DA called me that during our negotiations for my wife, I would call him a respectful DOG in return. ;)

In the interim, I have hoping I have contacted some attorneys which will take my initial payment and then accept payments over time for my wife's screwup.... and maybe I won't have to turn to this forum for help and hope in this case?

Thanks anyway... and please don't stop your help... since who knows what will happen for us in the future.

Antigone*

First, I am NO ONE'S DOG.... you can call me John or Mr Mo or Sir... but certainly NOT freakin dog.
Then again, if a DA called me that during our negotiations for my wife, I would call him a respectful DOG in return. ;)

In the interim, I have hoping I have contacted some attorneys which will take my initial payment and then accept payments over time for my wife's screwup.... and maybe I won't have to turn to this forum for help and hope in this case?

Thanks anyway... and please don't stop your help... since who knows what will happen for us in the future.
How the heck am I supposed to know your name is John when the screen name you are using has the name DOG:rolleyes:

Dude and you want to represent your wife? She is better off with willy:rolleyes:

govtdog

How the heck am I supposed to know your name is John when the screen name you are using has the name DOG:rolleyes:
Dude and you want to represent your wife? She is better off with willy:rolleyes:
Oh my, and oh my gawd..... SORRY.

How much is Willy gonna cost? or who you might recommend instead?

I have $786.50 left from my retirement fund to withdraw to save my wife of 30 years who has worked more than 10 years of saving Cancer Patients from death and afterward from living with their horror via my wife's local monthly victim cancer meetings.... to say nothing of her motherhood of two incredible kids.

What can you do to help us?

Last edited:

Antigone*

Oh my, and oh my gawd..... SORRY.

How much is Willy gonna cost? or who you might recommend instead?
I was being very sarcastic, you don't want willy.:p

I do hope things work out for your wife. Hopefully this is her first and last DUI.

~ tigi

govtdog

I was being very sarcastic, you don't want willy.:p

I do hope things work out for your wife. Hopefully this is her first and last DUI.

~ tigi
Of course, I edited my previous posts which might make more sense.... but

Pertaining to your questions which occurred between the lines of this thread...

If I cannot stand beside her in even the first hearing, does she she even need to say anything other than "Not guilty"?

Thanks.

Antigone*

Of course, I edited my previous posts which might make more sense.... but

Pertaining to your questions which occurred between the lines of this thread...

If I cannot stand beside her in even the first hearing, does she she even need to say anything other than "Not guilty"?

Thanks.
Not guilty should be the only words she speaks. This will give you time to obtain representation for her.

govtdog

Thanks....

Will post with whatever we get back with regard to discovery....

Maybe after that we can get an attorney for something like $1K or so depending on the discovery.... thanks to you all!!!

govtdog

Not guilty should be the only words she speaks. This will give you time to obtain representation for her.
Thanks to all who have posted... !!!

Still, the questions still exist and how can I can get the full records against my wife in order to determine how much of a legal representation do we need to get what we can get?

Thanks....

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Thanks to all who have posted... !!!

Still, the questions still exist and how can I can get the full records against my wife in order to determine how much of a legal representation do we need to get what we can get?

Thanks....
I think the easiest solution for you would simply be to attend law school, sit for (and pass) the bar exam and then help your wife.

It's obvious that you're not "getting it"

CdwJava

YOU cannot get the records. The prosecuting attorney's office or the police might be willing to gie them up, but they are not required to. Her attorney can and will be able to obtain the reports from the prosecuting attorney. Until then there is no way that you or the defendant can force anyone to cough up the reports.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">