+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 38
Like Tree15Likes

Thread: Can I be a non-lawyer pro se for my wife in a DWI case?

  1. #1
    govtdog is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    29

    Can I be a non-lawyer pro se for my wife in a DWI case?

    What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Texas

    If so, what do I need to do to represent her at her first non-continued hearing in this case?

    We are meeting with attorneys but want to have some discovery in the case which will not occur until after her next criminal date hearing?

    I'd guess the next and essentially first hearing will have to do with her just saying her plea and then who knows?
  2. #2
    Zigner is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    California
    Posts
    53,941
    Quote Originally Posted by govtdog View Post
    What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Texas

    If so, what do I need to do to represent her at her first non-continued hearing in this case?

    We are meeting with attorneys but want to have some discovery in the case which will not occur until after her next criminal date hearing?

    I'd guess the next and essentially first hearing will have to do with her just saying her plea and then who knows?
    You are not able to represent your wife in court.

    ETA: I'm pretty darn sure we told you that your actions constituted the unlawful practice of law...and that was just because you were filling out her forms!
  3. #3
    Antigone* is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    In honor of JetX ~ Somnambulist University
    Posts
    21,220
    Quote Originally Posted by govtdog View Post
    What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Texas

    If so, what do I need to do to represent her at her first non-continued hearing in this case?

    We are meeting with attorneys but want to have some discovery in the case which will not occur until after her next criminal date hearing?

    I'd guess the next and essentially first hearing will have to do with her just saying her plea and then who knows?
    Dog, we told you yesterday that representing your wife would not be possible.
    Zigner likes this.
  4. #4
    govtdog is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    29
    Quote Originally Posted by govtdog View Post
    What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Texas

    If so, what do I need to do to represent her at her first non-continued hearing in this case?

    We are meeting with attorneys but want to have some discovery in the case which will not occur until after her next criminal date hearing?

    I'd guess the next and essentially first hearing will have to do with her just saying her plea and then who knows?
    Thanks but no one followed up on my other questions... so I wondered?

    Can I stand next to just advise her what to ask and answer in court at the criminal and ALR hearings?
  5. #5
    CdwJava is online now Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    California
    Posts
    27,438
    Chances are you will NOT be permitted to stand next to her. If you do, and keep whispering to her, yu can expect the court to ask you to leave or to (possibly) censure you and her in some way.

    Either SHE acts pro se, or she hires an attorney. If she cannot afford one, the court will appoint one for her. But YOU cannot act on her behalf or advise her.
    Antigone* likes this.
    A Nor Cal Cop Sergeant

    "Make mine a double mocha ...
    And a croissant!"

    Seek justice,
    Love mercy,
    Walk humbly with your God

    -- Courageous, by Casting Crowns ... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pkM-gDcmJeM
  6. #6
    govtdog is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    29
    First, I am NO ONE'S DOG.... you can call me John or Mr Mo or Sir... but certainly NOT freakin dog.
    Then again, if a DA called me that during our negotiations for my wife, I would call him a respectful DOG in return.

    In the interim, I have hoping I have contacted some attorneys which will take my initial payment and then accept payments over time for my wife's screwup.... and maybe I won't have to turn to this forum for help and hope in this case?

    Thanks anyway... and please don't stop your help... since who knows what will happen for us in the future.
  7. #7
    Antigone* is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    In honor of JetX ~ Somnambulist University
    Posts
    21,220
    Quote Originally Posted by govtdog View Post
    First, I am NO ONE'S DOG.... you can call me John or Mr Mo or Sir... but certainly NOT freakin dog.
    Then again, if a DA called me that during our negotiations for my wife, I would call him a respectful DOG in return.

    In the interim, I have hoping I have contacted some attorneys which will take my initial payment and then accept payments over time for my wife's screwup.... and maybe I won't have to turn to this forum for help and hope in this case?

    Thanks anyway... and please don't stop your help... since who knows what will happen for us in the future.
    How the heck am I supposed to know your name is John when the screen name you are using has the name DOG

    Dude and you want to represent your wife? She is better off with willy
  8. #8
    govtdog is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    29
    Quote Originally Posted by Antigone* View Post
    How the heck am I supposed to know your name is John when the screen name you are using has the name DOG
    Dude and you want to represent your wife? She is better off with willy
    Oh my, and oh my gawd..... SORRY.

    How much is Willy gonna cost? or who you might recommend instead?

    I have $786.50 left from my retirement fund to withdraw to save my wife of 30 years who has worked more than 10 years of saving Cancer Patients from death and afterward from living with their horror via my wife's local monthly victim cancer meetings.... to say nothing of her motherhood of two incredible kids.

    What can you do to help us?
    Last edited by govtdog; 10-30-2012 at 12:13 PM.
  9. #9
    Antigone* is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    In honor of JetX ~ Somnambulist University
    Posts
    21,220
    Quote Originally Posted by govtdog View Post
    Oh my, and oh my gawd..... SORRY.

    How much is Willy gonna cost? or who you might recommend instead?
    I was being very sarcastic, you don't want willy.

    I do hope things work out for your wife. Hopefully this is her first and last DUI.

    ~ tigi
  10. #10
    govtdog is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    29
    Quote Originally Posted by Antigone* View Post
    I was being very sarcastic, you don't want willy.

    I do hope things work out for your wife. Hopefully this is her first and last DUI.

    ~ tigi
    Of course, I edited my previous posts which might make more sense.... but


    Pertaining to your questions which occurred between the lines of this thread...

    If I cannot stand beside her in even the first hearing, does she she even need to say anything other than "Not guilty"?

    Thanks.
  11. #11
    Antigone* is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    In honor of JetX ~ Somnambulist University
    Posts
    21,220
    Quote Originally Posted by govtdog View Post
    Of course, I edited my previous posts which might make more sense.... but


    Pertaining to your questions which occurred between the lines of this thread...

    If I cannot stand beside her in even the first hearing, does she she even need to say anything other than "Not guilty"?

    Thanks.
    Not guilty should be the only words she speaks. This will give you time to obtain representation for her.
  12. #12
    govtdog is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    29
    Thanks....

    Will post with whatever we get back with regard to discovery....

    Maybe after that we can get an attorney for something like $1K or so depending on the discovery.... thanks to you all!!!
  13. #13
    govtdog is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    29
    Quote Originally Posted by Antigone* View Post
    Not guilty should be the only words she speaks. This will give you time to obtain representation for her.
    Thanks to all who have posted... !!!

    Still, the questions still exist and how can I can get the full records against my wife in order to determine how much of a legal representation do we need to get what we can get?

    Thanks....
  14. #14
    Zigner is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    California
    Posts
    53,941
    Quote Originally Posted by govtdog View Post
    Thanks to all who have posted... !!!

    Still, the questions still exist and how can I can get the full records against my wife in order to determine how much of a legal representation do we need to get what we can get?

    Thanks....
    I think the easiest solution for you would simply be to attend law school, sit for (and pass) the bar exam and then help your wife.

    It's obvious that you're not "getting it"
    Silverplum likes this.
  15. #15
    CdwJava is online now Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    California
    Posts
    27,438
    Still, the questions still exist and how can I can get the full records against my wife in order to determine how much of a legal representation do we need to get what we can get?
    YOU cannot get the records. The prosecuting attorney's office or the police might be willing to gie them up, but they are not required to. Her attorney can and will be able to obtain the reports from the prosecuting attorney. Until then there is no way that you or the defendant can force anyone to cough up the reports.
    A Nor Cal Cop Sergeant

    "Make mine a double mocha ...
    And a croissant!"

    Seek justice,
    Love mercy,
    Walk humbly with your God

    -- Courageous, by Casting Crowns ... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pkM-gDcmJeM

Similar Threads

  1. Can he be forced to pay for wife's lawyer?
    By ard1976 in forum Divorce, Separation & Annulment
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 08-02-2005, 07:21 AM
  2. Ex-wife wants new wife's info for custody case
    By Viola123 in forum Child Custody & Visitation
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 07-11-2005, 08:44 AM
  3. wife WINS her employer thought she had a case!!!Update to Wife wrongfully terminated?
    By creep14 in forum Hiring, Firing & Wrongful Termination
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 02-16-2005, 02:17 PM
  4. suing my ex-wife's lawyer
    By raycad in forum Civil Litigation
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 05-13-2002, 06:19 PM
  5. ex-wife and her lawyer
    By raycad in forum Divorce, Separation & Annulment
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 05-13-2002, 05:08 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

© 1995-2012 Advice Company, All Rights Reserved

FreeAdvice® has been providing millions of consumers with outstanding advice, free, since 1995. While not a substitute for personal advice from a licensed professional, it is available AS IS, subject to our Disclaimer and Terms & Conditions Of Use.