• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Charged with dui while not driving?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

volram

In Connecticut two people at the bar offered to drive my car back from the bar to my house. His friend was driving my car and his buddy was following us. I fell asleep on the ride home and woke up to my car crashed into a tree. I was not hurt but the guy driving my car took off with my key and got into the car following us and left me in the car. I got out and started walking down the road to get some help and using my phone to contact people. The cop stopped me a little bit up the road and arrested me for dui. Do i have a chance of winning this case?

latigo

In Connecticut two people at the bar offered to drive my car back from the bar to my house. His friend was driving my car and his buddy was following us. I fell asleep on the ride home and woke up to my car crashed into a tree. I was not hurt but the guy driving my car took off with my key and got into the car following us and left me in the car. I got out and started walking down the road to get some help and using my phone to contact people. The cop stopped me a little bit up the road and arrested me for dui. Do i have a chance of winning this case?
That may depend on whether or not you can find two witnesses willing to risk imprisonment by corroborating this laughable yarn!

CdwJava

And, you know the names of these two good Samaritans, correct? If not, and you cannot produce witnesses who can corroborate ANY of this, I suspect a plead eal is in your future.

They mystery driver scenario as an excuse for a DUI crash is an old one. I have heard a great many variations of that tae, and I suspect the prosecutor and judge have as well.

PaulMass

Do i have a chance of winning this case?
It depends on what your definition of "winning" is.

If by "winning", you mean paying an attorney a boatload of money to get a not guilty verdict, then sure, you have a chance of winning.

#1) Don't talk to the police. (You're probably beyond that. Even if you told them your tale, I doubt the police report contains any of that)

#2) The burden is on the prosecution that you were driving. You have no burden to prove you were not driving, nor do you have any burden to prove that someone else was driving. If someone else admits to driving, that will certainly help you.

Get yourself to a lawyer.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">