• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Colorado Driver's License Reinstatement Question:

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Steiner50

What is the name of your state? Colorado.

I hope this is the most appropriate forum to post this--if not, I apologize and will re-post where directed.

After a suspension, I have been eligible for reinstatement for about five years but have not owned a car, and have not driven during this period. However, I would now like to purchase and operate a 49cc scooter. I have researched the legal requirements for this vehicle, and although a separate motorcycle license is not required, a driver's license is. Also, as far as I can tell, liability insurance for the vehicle is mandatory as well, which presumably would be necessary for the vehicle's registration, just like a motorcycle or automobile.

Will the scooter policy be acceptable for the proof of insurance requirement for license reinstatement?

Thanks in advance for any answers.

FlyingRon

You don't even need a vehicle to get SR-22 coverage. It's a liability thing. You can get "non-owner" coverage. It looks like there are carriers that will do SR-22's for scooter policies as well.

Steiner50

Then, perhaps I don't understand.

I have always thought that SR-22 insurance was for those who needed a continuing proof to the DMV to validate their driving privilege, and that is why it carried higher cost.

However, for the purposes of reinstating my driver's license, it sounds to me like I simply need to provide proof of insurance for a vehicle.

Is this correct?

I want to thank your continuing attention. You have been very helpful.

Regards,
Steiner

FlyingRon

Depends what your license was suspended for. If it was for DUI or previously driving without insurance, yes you need it. If it was just for points, any liability insurance will work (even a no-vehicle one).

Steiner50

My suspension was for non-payment of a fine for having no insurance.

And furthermore, I was arrested on warrant and spent a few hours in jail before my family bailed me out, irritated and upset with the whole affair. Can't blame them, 'course.

Seems to me that if I am required to purchase this insurance, the insurance company should be obligated to provide me with coverage, even something so piddly as a scooter liability policy, which I have been told runs about $100 a year. Presumably non-owners insurance will run somewhat more.

I am worried that I may be refused coverage, just because the agent won't want to do the work for a policy he/she will make about three dollars on. Seems to me that if I am required to have an insurance policy, the providers should be required to provide it...I mean, sell it to me. But I have this suspicion you'll tell me that they can act just like any small business and refuse me.

Seems like due course for this kind of thing.

FlyingRon

An agent is a fool if he thinks that because today you have no car that tomorrow you may not. If you can't find an agent, try progressive or geico or one of the companies that sells directly.

You'll need to inquire with the DMV if you need the SR22.

moburkes

My educated guess is that, for being caught without insurance, you have needed an SR22 for the past 5 years. Usually what happens when you don't immediately provide proof of insurance, is that additional time is tacked on to the SR22 requirement.

Steiner50

Thanks for the clarifications--sorry I haven't been responded 'till now. After researching a couple other sites with the above in mind, it does appear that I will need SR22 verification for at least three years.

If there is any interest, I can can go back and post what looked like the relevant Colorado statute.

Thanks again! This looks like a great resource for occasional legal questions. (I realize that others both could and should require direct contact with a local attorney.)

moburkes

Thanks for the clarifications--sorry I haven't been responded 'till now. After researching a couple other sites with the above in mind, it does appear that I will need SR22 verification for at least three years.

If there is any interest, I can can go back and post what looked like the relevant Colorado statute.

Thanks again! This looks like a great resource for occasional legal questions. (I realize that others both could and should require direct contact with a local attorney.)
You can post it if you'd like, for people with similar questions. I realize that I didn't address one of your earlier questions. While it is true that the SR22 itself only adds about $10-$40 per policy term to your premium, the overall cost of insurance is much more expensive because you're now considered high risk. 1. you're not currently insured. 2. you need an SR22. 3. you've been caught without insurance before.

So, for example, if your 6 month premium would have been, say, $60/month, it will jump to around $98/month.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">