• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Colorado Resident DUI in Alabama

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

lockcitra22

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Colorado/Alabama

So here's the situation: I myself did not get a DUI anywhere, I'm just asking as a dear friend of mine did. In 2009 my friend got a DUI in Alabama, but is a resident of Colorado. Since then the fines have been non-stop and in the last 2 years have been an average of $25,000/year. Friend completed their required classes and is now performing community service. According to friend, the D.A. has said that they can "basically do what they want" as they are an out-of-state offender. As far as I know, friend didn't have any priors. My question is mainly about the fines. What is the maximum fine for an out of state offender in the state of Alabama, and are they legally allowed to view the remaining balance on their fine? This has been going on for 3.5 years, and enough is enough. Also, can the state of Alabama hold the perp responsible for issues beyond their control? (Such as a direct deposite from work that does not make it to their account, or being injured in a car accident that is not friend's fault? Both happened in 2012 and friend was held responsible. The accident kept friend out of work for 3 weeks to which friend was not paid as all sick pay/ vacation pay was used up to attend court.) If possible, please cite parts or the whole of Alabama law so that I might be able to look them up myself and get the EXACT wording to friend. Thank you much for your time. :)

P.S. I'm willing to give more information if necessary, just let me know what you need as this is the five cent version of events.

sandyclaus

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Colorado/Alabama

So here's the situation: I myself did not get a DUI anywhere, I'm just asking as a dear friend of mine did. In 2009 my friend got a DUI in Alabama, but is a resident of Colorado. Since then the fines have been non-stop and in the last 2 years have been an average of $25,000/year. Friend completed their required classes and is now performing community service. According to friend, the D.A. has said that they can "basically do what they want" as they are an out-of-state offender. As far as I know, friend didn't have any priors. My question is mainly about the fines. What is the maximum fine for an out of state offender in the state of Alabama, and are they legally allowed to view the remaining balance on their fine? This has been going on for 3.5 years, and enough is enough. Also, can the state of Alabama hold the perp responsible for issues beyond their control? (Such as a direct deposite from work that does not make it to their account, or being injured in a car accident that is not friend's fault? Both happened in 2012 and friend was held responsible. The accident kept friend out of work for 3 weeks to which friend was not paid as all sick pay/ vacation pay was used up to attend court.) If possible, please cite parts or the whole of Alabama law so that I might be able to look them up myself and get the EXACT wording to friend. Thank you much for your time. :)

P.S. I'm willing to give more information if necessary, just let me know what you need as this is the five cent version of events.
We definitely need more details here.

From my own research, the fines for an Alabama DUI would range from $600 to just over $5,000 per offense (first or second offense). If their fines are upwards of $25,000, then there's definitely a lot more to the story. Perhaps that money is for restitution or to offset the cost of their incarceration (some jails are doing that these days), or for their classes or interlock devices. In addition, I'm unaware of any specific laws that allow for increased fines for out-of-state drivers.

Perhaps your friend would like to create their own account and explain to us exactly where these fines are coming from?

HighwayMan

Super Secret Senior Member
Problem is you have no idea what else your friend may have been charged with and what sentence she received. Sounds like she doesn't even know. I would assume that she did not have an attorney represent her, correct?

The prosecutor cannot do whatever he wants - there are always limitations and without knowing the charges and dispositions one cannot make any determination as to what the possible penalties may be.

If your friend can afford to pay upwards of $25k then I would assume that a few thousand for an attorney wouldn't be a big deal. Maybe she should at least consult with one.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">