• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Confused as to my next move

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

zxx

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? VA

Convicted of first DUI in VA while holding (valid) AZ license. VA's ASAP program paperwork says:

1. File FR44 with insurance company.
2. Pay DMV $220 reinstatement fee.
3. Enroll in ASAP program.
4. Installation of interlock device if required.

Sounds easy enough... except that I don't need my VA license reinstated and AZ doesn't require an FR44. In addition, my paperwork also says:

"Surrendering your license or leaving the state will not excuse the FR44 requirement if you wish to have a valid license in the State of Virginia at a later date."

Okay... sounds easy enough there too... I don't care about my driving privileges in Virginia. However, my VA ASAP representative -- of which there is apparently only one for out-of-state cases -- said that I am required to do #1 and #2 in order to complete the program, and that failure to complete the program would violate the terms of my court order, which means I'd receive 30 days jail (my conviction was for 30 days with 30 days suspended). My ASAP representative is out on vacation until the 27th and nobody else in the office can give me a straight answer.

Arizona MDV has required me to take a "traffic survival school" class but my license was never suspended/revoked here.

In this situation, is it best to just wait until the ASAP rep gets back? Or does anyone have any insight that might help here? Not paying a $220 DMV fee would be nice around the holidays, but not going to jail is nice too. I figure someone might have some experience here dealing with out-of-state DUI.

Thanks.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
If your license is suspended in VA, it's suspended everywhere. Sure, it might take a while for it to catch up with you...but catch up it will.

zxx

I was under the impression, based on my lawyer, who I should probably not be trusting anyway based on the amount of work he put into my case, that my driving privileges in VA would be suspended/revoked, but that since I have a valid out-of-state license, it would continue to be valid. Is this totally wrong then?

If my ability to drive in VA is removed I really don't care, but if that will eventually cause my AZ license to become invalidated then I'll call them and pay the fee. This isn't a moral issue or anything, just a "why pay if I don't have to" one -- and so far my counselor has been useless in that regard.

Zigner

This isn't a moral issue or anything...
Your morals are pretty skewed :rolleyes:

Legally, you must pay. Morally, you should pay.

See also http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_Driver_Register

zxx

Got it. Thanks for the quick replies. By the "moral issue" I just meant that I wasn't trying to beat the system or anything, just that I didn't want to pay a fine to reinstate something that I was never going to use, if I didn't have to. Hopefully that makes sense!

Zigner

...I just meant that I wasn't trying to beat the system or anything, just that I didn't want to pay a fine to reinstate something that I was never going to use, if I didn't have to.
Actually, that's pretty much the definition of "trying to beat the system."

zxx

I respectfully disagree with that one. The confusion lies in the wording on the paper, which says "if you wish to have a valid license in the State of Virginia at a later date". I believe based on what you've said that it should read "if you wish to have a valid license at a later date", which would have answered this question from the start.

Thanks again.

Zigner

I respectfully disagree with that one. The confusion lies in the wording on the paper, which says "if you wish to have a valid license in the State of Virginia at a later date". I believe based on what you've said that it should read "if you wish to have a valid license at a later date", which would have answered this question from the start.

Thanks again.
Right - not trying to beat the system - Right

zxx

I'm not sure why we're still going back and forth here, but it seems ridiculous that you're posting on a forum where people ask for help, the problem has been resolved, yet you've still got a caustic attitude towards it. I'm a moderator on several other "help"-type boards and it just strikes me as a bit odd. I am here for clarification of terms, not to appease an ego. Being someone unfamiliar with the legal process involved in this situation, I asked for advice based on the language, and even pasted the phrasing I was confused about word-for-word. I don't see any reason for sarcasm, especially when this question might help someone later on who Googles for the same problem and gets this thread as a result.

Anyway, if that's the general attitude here towards infrequent posters who have expressed no attitude or animosity, carry on and you don't have to worry about my questions anymore, since my only one has been answered. Thanks again.

FlyingRon

Your privilege to drive in Virginia is cancelled until you do those things to reinstate (Arizona license valid or not). Virginia can't cancel your Arizona license. They will however note in the NDR that you are revoked here. This may make things difficult to renew in Arizona (or to get a new license anywhere).

It would be easier to jump through the reinstatement hoops now than letting it fester for years.

Last edited:

zxx

You're privilege to drive in Virginia is cancelled until you do those things to reinstate (Arizona license valid or not). Virginia can't cancel your Arizona license. They will however note in the NDR that you are revoked here. This may make things difficult to renew in Arizona (or to get a new license anywhere).

It would be easier to jump through the reinstatement hoops now than letting it fester for years.
Arizona is weird with their license in that it's good for like a thousand years. Well, not really, but I think my license expires in 2060 or something obscene like that. However, based on what has been previously said in the thread, I'd hate to get pulled over for a traffic ticket, have MDV run my record, see this, and deal with the fallout at that point, so it's probably the way to go as you say. Thanks.

To OP and other newbies,

Just ignore all posts from Zig nor. He is one of three daily posters here with no legal or any other expertise, but gets a thrill from denigrating those who have sinned, and offers vacuous, snarky comments. Take a look at his post history. Surprising that he is still allow to post here or in forum.

HighwayMan

Super Secret Senior Member
Even if that was true (which it's not), talk about a case of the pot calling the kettle black. Geez...

Ive never seen someone say snarky. If your surprised by zigs comments then you should hang around a while. The moderators dont seem to mind the constant derisive comments towards the posters so it continues.

Im not sure about AZ but I bet if you did get a revoke youd just have to pay a reinstatement fee assuming youve done your asap. Im a gamblin man and Id take those odds. Not pay va and see if az revokes.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">