• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Confused. Questions Regarding License Restoration.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

KevinmH9

I’m a New Hampshire resident. My DWI arrest/conviction took place in Polk County, Georgia.

To clarify for those who may be confused. I never was a resident of Georgia, nor have I ever held a Georgia drivers' license. I was in Georgia for an internship and still held my New Hampshire license during that time.

Hello, folks.

I was arrested for a DWI in September, 2010 in Rockmart, Georgia in Polk County. I pled guilty to DWI when I went to court on October 13th, 2010. I paid my $1,100 fine that day in court. Completed my IDIP (Impaired Driver Intervention Program) and counseling over the past few months. I filed for my SR-22.

Since then, I have quit drinking. Alcoholism runs in my family. Realized the road I was turning down. So, I stopped.

Anyway, I was eligible for reinstatement in July following my nine month suspension. But due to monetary problems, I was unable to afford the IDIP course. Now to the present. I called the New Hampshire DMV today to see what the status was on the restoration of my license.

To my surprise, the DMV had told me they haven't received any paperwork or notification from Georgia clearing me of my obligations.

I was confused, so I called the Georgia DDS (Department of Driver Services) and they told me that I need to pay a $210 reinstatement fee, and provide a copy of my competition paperwork from the agency where I took my IDIP class.

So, my questions are this: Why do I have to pay Georgia a reinstatement fee when I've never even held a Georgia license?

Upon mailing out the $210 and the completion certificate, should I be eligible to get my license back in New Hampshire?

P.S. When I called the New Hampshire DMV today, they told me they never received my New Hampshire drivers' license which I surrendered to the arresting officer in Georgia. While they said I can just write a simple note saying why I didn't surrender it, it still fires me up! :mad:

Thank you all in advance for any light or advice you can shed upon this subject. :)

HighwayMan

Super Secret Senior Member
So, my questions are this: Why do I have to pay Georgia a reinstatement fee when I've never even held a Georgia license?
You don't have a Georgia license but you have a driving privilege in Georgia.
That is what would be restored.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">