• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

consequences for showing w/o lawyer

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

jakeyb27

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California:confused: if the judge postponed my court date so that i could obtain legal rep and I was ordered to show up at my next court appearance with a lawyer, what are the consequences of showing up without a lawyer??

Last edited:

FlyingRon

Don't know about cali, but if you get a continuance to get counsel and you blow that off, then the judge will expeditiously (and usually not favorably to you) act on your case. I wouldn't make any plans for that evening.

CdwJava

if the judge postponed my court date so that i could obtain legal rep and I was ordered to show up at my next court appearance with a lawyer, what are the consequences of showing up without a lawyer??
I suspect he would assign temporary counsel, allow you to plead "not guilty", and then remand you in to custody.

He might do any number of things, but that is a possibility.

- Carl

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">