• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Contributing to Minors

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

lkeeling

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Indiana

Hello,

Recently I got a contributing to minors citation as a matter of "guilty by association." I'm 21 years old and both of my friends who got this charge were 20.

The ticket fell under: Indiana Code - Section 7.1-5-7-15: Aiding unlawful possession

I got in a car with a friend who was sober and he failed to motion he was turning right in the middle of the night and excise pulled us over. We were honest with him and I told him I had beer in my bag (One missing out of a 12 pack). We had been watching NCAA March Madness. He cited my two friends with underage consumption and me with contributing to minors - he also had me pour out my beers on the side of the road.

Should I plead not guilty the time court comes? I didn't give my friends any alcohol - I just happened to be the sole 21 year old present and they drank very little (They blew .02 and .04). What are the possible outcomes? I've had three prior alcohol charges (Two minors, one resisting), but I am active in the community (Over 40 hours of community service per semester) and hold above a 3.0GPA with a double major and have held a constant job since turning 16. I don't know if any of this matters.

Last edited:

CdwJava

Never plead guilty without first consulting with an attorney. Whether the state can prove your guilt beyond a reasonable doubt depends on factors we do not know. It depends on the specific offense for which you were cited (state or local muni code section, and the city you were in if the offense is a municipal code) and what you or your pals may have told the officers and what they observed.

lkeeling

Indiana Code - Section 7.1-5-7-15: Aiding unlawful possession

"A person twenty-one (21) years of age or older who knowingly or intentionally encourages, aids, or induces a minor to unlawfully possess an alcoholic beverage commits a Class C infraction."

No one explicitly stated I gave them alcohol. The code somewhat sounds like I'm just guilty by association? Like as the 21 year old am I supposed to stop the minors from drinking - is that what this law states?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">