• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Convicted of "Physical control of vehicle while under influence." Now what?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Crafter Man

Convicted of "Physical control of vehicle while under influence." Now what?

Ohio

I'm 38 years old. In August of 2005 I was arrested for DUI in Ohio. It was my first.

To make a long (and expensive) story short, the charge was reduced to "Having physical control of vehicle while under influence" (Ohio Revised Code § 4511.194). This is not a DUI, DWI, etc. The penalties are reduced, and it does not put any points on my driver's license. I plead guilty to this in November 2005. In December I got my license back, and probation ended today.

Other than a speeding ticket, this is the only thing on my record. I have also given up drinking entirely.

- What does my future behold?
- Will my conviction be treated just like a DUI?
- Will employers care?
- If a rental car company will not rent to someone w/ a DUI on their record, does that mean they won't rent to me?
- Will my car insurance go up?
- Will it be a problem if I try to get a government security clearance?

I already checked into expungement. Apparently, you cannot expunge any motor vehicle violations in Ohio. :(

Last edited:

seniorjudge

Crafter Man said:
Ohio

I'm 38 years old. In August of 2005 I was arrested for DUI in Ohio. It was my first.

To make a long (and expensive) story short, the charge was reduced to "Having physical control of vehicle while under influence" (Ohio Revised Code § 4511.194). This is not a DUI, DWI, etc. The penalties are reduced, and it does not put any points on my driver's license. I plead guilty to this in November 2005. In December I got my license back, and probation ended today.

Other than a speeding ticket, this is the only thing on my record. I have also given up drinking entirely.

- Will employers care?
- If a rental car company will not rent to someone w/ a DUI on their record, does that mean they won't rent to me?
- Will my car insurance go up?

I already checked into expungement. Apparently, you cannot expunge any motor vehicle violations in Ohio. :(
- Will employers care?

All of these will be answered when the FA crystal ball gets back out of the repair shop.

But your car insurance will go up.

BigMistakeFl

BigMistakeFl

Re: Employers

That would depend upon the type of work you do. Over the road truck driver? FedEx delivery? Pizza guy? Yes, very likely.

As for other professions, I think it depends on the employer. Mine felt that my first offense DUI immunized me against it happening again, so he felt I was a safer bet as a result of it. It's the other guys in the office who stop off for a few "frosties" after work that he worries about. (For some reason, the possibility of injuring or killing another person as a result of driving drunk doesn't sink it..... arrest does)

I can tell you that being up front and honest and disclosing it is the best bet. The ease with which anyone can run background checks today makes it probable that your employer or prospective employer will learn of your arrest. Disclosure allows you to tell him or her the details before anyone draws their own conclusions.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">