• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Could this count as financial hardship?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

philone12

I was recently arrested for my first OWI in Wisconsin. I made a very, very stupid mistake and drove after WAY too many drinks. My court appearance is tomorrow and I'm rather nervous about my situation.

Long before I was pulled over, I decided to sell my car and go back to school. I have yet to sell my car and I am still set to move in four weeks. I have a summer job here and would still need an occupational license for the remaining four weeks. My BAC was over .15 and I've read that in order to even be considered for an occupational license, an IID needs to be installed.

I messed up. I realize that, and I am not looking to get out of my punishment. I'm just wondering if there is anyway that I would be able to get an occupational license for the next few weeks before I move without having that installed. When I apply to have my license reinstated and purchase another vehicle, I have no problems installing the IID. I can't be certain that I will be able to get a ride to work for the next couple weeks if I don't get my occupational license and am worried about losing my job...

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

FlyingRon

There's no provision for driving on your restricted license without the IID no matter WHAT level of hardship you are facing. The court has no discretion to waive the requirement. The only thing a the discretion of the court is to not require ALL the cars you own to be so equipped. However, if they exempt certain of your cars, you're still not allowed to drive those.

philone12

So having it installed and then removed again in a few weeks is what I'm going to have to do? Is it even legal to have it removed before my required time is up?

LillianX

The judge will order it to be installed on any vehicle you own. You'll either need to sell your car now, or have it installed.

It costs about $125 to have it installed, a $50 fee for the court, and around $90 a month to lease the device. There are also fees to monitor it and insure it.

You also have to pay to have it removed.

FlyingRon

As I stated, if you want to drive you must have the IID. You will need to have it eventually. To get your unrestricted license back you need to have the period of IID (you can't wait it out by not driving).

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">