• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Court never filed license suspension?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

wbegg

I called the TN department of safety today to request a list of items I would need to reinstate my license at the end of April after a DUI I had with a court date of April of last year. 1 year license suspension .... etc. (The judge took my license in court).

The administrator informed me that I just had to renew it as it had expired on my birthday 2 days ago (feb.22). I went online to check the status of my license, and was informed that it was "valid". I went to the DMV, county clerk's office, and they issued me a new license and had no record that my license had ever been suspended.

Did the court fail to file the suspension? Could I have legally driven the last 10 months? Can I legally drive now?

Banned_Princess

I called the TN department of safety today to request a list of items I would need to reinstate my license at the end of April after a DUI I had with a court date of April of last year. 1 year license suspension .... etc. (The judge took my license in court).

The administrator informed me that I just had to renew it as it had expired on my birthday 2 days ago (feb.22). I went online to check the status of my license, and was informed that it was "valid". I went to the DMV, county clerk's office, and they issued me a new license and had no record that my license had ever been suspended.

Did the court fail to file the suspension? Could I have legally driven the last 10 months? Can I legally drive now?
stupid TN. they didn't hesitate to suspend my NYSDL indefinitely over a speeding ticket.

thank your lucky stars, get your license, and never mention the ordeal ever again.

wbegg

Do most states have a certain period of time to file? Hopefully they can't realize their mistake and re-submit! Statute of limitations?

Banned_Princess

Do most states have a certain period of time to file? Hopefully they can't realize their mistake and re-submit! Statute of limitations?
you have already done your year.

they probaby wont say oops we forgot to suspend you, we're going to do it now...

arsenic

you have already done your year.

they probaby wont say oops we forgot to suspend you, we're going to do it now...
Why not? She has not actually served a suspension, though she hasn't driven in a year. DMV prob. won't care since they only go by what shows in their records, but the court will if it ever finds out about it. Unlikely if she doesn't show up again in court for new offenses.

OP: You have a current valid license; you can drive.

Last edited:

Banned_Princess

Why not? She has not actually serve a suspension, though she hasn't driven in a year. DMV prob. won't care since they only go by what shows in their records, but the court will if it ever finds out about it. Unlikely if she doesn't show up again in court for new offenses.
what are you talking about?

yes OP do not get in troubble for DUI again. I think that goes without saying.

arsenic

what are you talking about?

yes OP do not get in troubble for DUI again. I think that goes without saying.
What are *you* talking about?

At least 30% of all DUI convicts offend again within 3 years.

Even without that, she never served any suspension - she voluntarily did not drive for a year (under a mistaken assumption). If the court finds out about it, she *will* get suspended.

Banned_Princess

What are *you* talking about?

At least 30% of all DUI convicts offend again within 3 years.

Even without that, she never served any suspension - she voluntarily did not drive for a year (under a mistaken assumption). If the court finds out about it, she *will* get suspended.
this poster is not going to be punished again, for an over site the court made. It wasn't her responsibility to make sure the license got suspended. the court took the license, and she waited the year before inquiring about the reinstatement of that license that she relinquished a year before.

she can probably even show that she didn't get a new license until 12 months later.

HighwayMan

Super Secret Senior Member
this poster is not going to be punished again, for an over site (sic) the court made.
What is you knowledge of Tennessee law? How can you make this statement?

You're giving advice and expecting it to be followed as if you were an expert here, but you're far from it.

Aside from having had experience as a scofflaw in Tennessee you really have no qualification to be making these types of statements.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">