• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Daughter MIP, Probation violation, should she get a lawyer or not

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

sprice

Michigan USA

My daughter has another MIP. Her court case is sept 12. My question is should she get a lawyer. Money is tight since we just moved.

She is and was on probation when she got the MIP. Before that she drove impaired a few years ago and since then nothing but problems. She as spent 6 months in jail, 3 months, and 1 month for probation violation.

We moved to a new city last week and she is attending counseling, AA classes, and working on getting a job.

Should she just plead quilty and take what the judge says, or please not quilty and get a court attorney, or try to get up the $400 to get a lawyer. I really do not have the funds to pay for the lawyer and neither does she since we just moved and I am a singe dad, but if it would help we can try.

I would like to see her on a teather, so she can stay home and work and attend counseling for her issues rather than sit in jail and do nothing.

She only started to getting into trouble when her mom married a guy that is a drunk, no job, abusive mentally, controling,etc and seems to only get into trouble when she goes over there so we moved a hour away and her mom wont visit her here.

Thank You
Scott

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
She needs a lawyer yesterday. If she can't afford one, she can ask for a public defender.

HighwayMan

Super Secret Senior Member
My daughter has another MIP. Her court case is sept 12. My question is should she get a lawyer. Money is tight since we just moved.
Was a car involved here? Just checking since you did post this under Drunk Driving/DWI/DUI.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
Michigan USA

She is and was on probation when she got the MIP. Before that she drove impaired a few years ago and since then nothing but problems. She as spent 6 months in jail, 3 months, and 1 month for probation violation.

We moved to a new city last week and she is attending counseling, AA classes, and working on getting a job.

Should she just plead quilty and take what the judge says, or please not quilty and get a court attorney, or try to get up the $400 to get a lawyer. I really do not have the funds to pay for the lawyer and neither does she since we just moved and I am a singe dad, but if it would help we can try.

I would like to see her on a teather, so she can stay home and work and attend counseling for her issues rather than sit in jail and do nothing.

She only started to getting into trouble when her mom married a guy that is a drunk, no job, abusive mentally, controling,etc and seems to only get into trouble when she goes over there so we moved a hour away and her mom wont visit her here.

Thank You
Scott
Really? It is all her mom's fault that your daughter is an alcoholic? Seriously, she is had multiple issues with alcohol and she is NOT 21 and you, dad, are making every excuse in the book for her. She is a drunk. She needs rehab but she needs to do REHAB when SHE hits bottom and decides SHE has a problem and not when daddy decides to force the issue. Let your alcoholic daughter pay for her own mistakes by having HER decide what she should do. YOU need to step back and let princess hit bottom and hit bottom hard. She is under 21 and has ANOTHER MIP and has already spent time in jail for six months because she drove drunk and thus endangered innocent individuals with her stupidity.

AND she then couldn't follow probation as she was violated. This is not MOM's FAULT but rather your daughter's fault for being stupid and a criminal. Quit giving her a scapegoat.
Enough is enough. LET HER FAIL. Let her go to jail. Let her hit rock bottom. QUIT bailing her out.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">