• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Disabilities and DUI

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

SES

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? PA
As a paraplegic arrested for a DUI, the officer, smiling, refused to allow me access to my wheelchair. He carried me into the station and sent me home in a cab where I had to crawl to my house as my wheelchair was left in the impounded vehicle despite my pleas. Is this arrest procedure legal?

Wizard of Law!

SES said:
What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? PA
As a paraplegic arrested for a DUI, the officer, smiling, refused to allow me access to my wheelchair. He carried me into the station and sent me home in a cab where I had to crawl to my house as my wheelchair was left in the impounded vehicle despite my pleas. Is this arrest procedure legal?

Next time, don't be a criminal! You want to violate the law? Then expect to be treated with disrespect - - because YOU were disrespecting us and the law!

Last edited by a moderator:

JETX

Not only that... the officer was correct in NOT allowing you to access your wheelchair. If he had, you could have been charged with ANOTHER DUI!!

BelizeBreeze

JETX said:
Not only that... the officer was correct in NOT allowing you to access your wheelchair. If he had, you could have been charged with ANOTHER DUI!!
I would have loved to see that chase on "COPS" :D

Last edited by a moderator:

JETX

Yep. I have seen DUI arrests where the 'driver' was in or on:
- Battery powered wheelchairs
- Golf carts on public property
- jet skis
- snowmobiles
- bicycles
- and even riding lawnmowers

You Are Guilty

JETX said:
Yep. I have seen DUI arrests where the 'driver' was in or on:
- Battery powered wheelchairs
- Golf carts on public property
- jet skis
- snowmobiles
- bicycles
- and even riding lawnmowers
I'll see your golf cart and raise you a horse.

Oddly enough, most of the horse DUI cases seem to come from down south. Go figure :D

Zephyr

netflow said:
I can't imagine that free thinking people would approve of a wheelchair DUI. A Florida Judge seems to agree with me.

http://www.sptimes.com/2005/01/04/Hernando/Judge_tosses_out_DUI_.shtml

whyever not? I am sure it would be impossible for someone in a wheelchair to impede traffic, or even cause accidents/injury, or posibly hit a oedestrian with their chair, or even damage property with the chair, freethinking is not the issue, poor judgement is

netflow

Zephyr said:
whyever not? I am sure it would be impossible for someone in a wheelchair to impede traffic, or even cause accidents/injury, or posibly hit a oedestrian with their chair, or even damage property with the chair, freethinking is not the issue, poor judgement is
Thanks for setting me straight. Your nietzchien approach to the disabled is refreshing. Who are they to think that they can indulge in the same tang as the rest of us?

If the only thing I had to worry about, was an inebriated individual who happened to be wheelchair-bound, I would live to survive an age that would humble Methuselah himself.

Two Bit

If they want to get drunk, then they should get a non-motorized wheel chair.

I've charged a guy with DUI on his four wheeler in his back yard.

One of my officers stopped a guy who was weaving down the street on a riding lawnmower. On the trial date, the lawyer had to do a lot of digging before he finally conceded that it did fit the meaning of motorized vehicle.

Zephyr

netflow said:
Thanks for setting me straight. Your nietzchien approach to the disabled is refreshing. Who are they to think that they can indulge in the same tang as the rest of us?

If the only thing I had to worry about, was an inebriated individual who happened to be wheelchair-bound, I would live to survive an age that would humble Methuselah himself.
not at all, but everyone-including people with disabilities should act responsibly and be held accountable for their actions.

just because someone is in a wheelchair does not give them a free pass on poor judgement

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">